My daughter begs!

My daughter used to come and ask for something we were eating once, then when she was told she couldn't have it, she would go play and forget about it. If she got some she would just go and play and maybe come back for a little more in a little bit. The other day, my MIL was feeding my daughter off her plate everytime my daughter would even make a noise. Since then, my daughter begs for food. Even if I tell her she can't have it, she cries. Then if I give her a bite, she insists on more right now. These are both really new and really different behaviors and I am not sure how to nip them in the bud before they get worse.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's all very normal. The fun is only beginning. Sometimes we forget these perfect beautiful children need discipline and do not come with instructions. I would just ignore her for a while and she's get the idea. Tell your company to quit feeding her off their plates.. that is YOUR rule.
    Anonymous

• If you reward the begging with what she wants she has no reason to not beg. She will do whatever will get her what she wants.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I only ever let her have things I would normally let her have. Like the other day I was eating a bowl of cheerios and she came over and asked for a bite. I gave her one and she finished it then started crying for another one. So I went to the other room to finish eating, which really made her mad! I don't give her a bite after she throws a fit for one, but she has been getting worse, not better.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't understand why she can't eat what you are eating? I realize you don't want her begging but if she wants food, give it to her. Set her in her chair with a small amount of her own food when she asks for something. And I'm not quite sure why you have a problem with giving her bites. This is a good reason why we eat when our kids eat or get them on the same eating schedule as us. Another thing we all have to realize is that what we eat are children are going to eat or want to eat. So we lead by example. If you want to eat chips or candy etc. (or something you don't want them to have yet) then you have to do it when their not around because regardless of their age, it's really night fair to eat in front of them and then say they can't have any. That's like teasing them. What is the age of your child? Don't worry about what other people think if this is the only behavior issue she has right now. She is ahead of the game if
    Anonymous

• CONT. this is her only quirk right now. I'm not trying to lecture or take an unfriendly tone, I just don't understand what the big issue is. If you don't like her asking other people for food, simply be the one to tell her not to. Eventually she'll listen. I hope you find a happy medium for the both of you.
    Anonymous

• "I don't understand why she can't eat what you are eating? I realize you don't want her begging but if she wants food, give it to her. Set her in her chair with a small amount of her own food when she asks for something. And I'm not quite sure why you have a problem with giving her bites. This is a good reason why we eat when our kids eat or get them on the same eating schedule as us. Another thing we all have to realize is that what we eat are children are going to eat or want to eat. So we lead by example. If you want to eat chips or candy etc. (or something you don't want them to have yet) then you have to do it when their not around because regardless of their age, it's really night fair to eat in front of them and then say they can't have any. That's like teasing them." Well said anon! I'd add that I'm guessing you'd simply prefer if she sat at the table to eat rather than eating on the fly? If so, just invite her to sit.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Cont'd. She'll probably sit for a minute to have a bite or two and then be on her way. She may or may not come back for more but if she does, no big deal.
    Breakfast is the only meal my twins and I don't eat at the big table together. They sit at their small table in the playroom and I sit either at the table or on the couch with my coffee. I'm not a big morning person and I like a few minutes of quiet to myself. It's not uncommon for one of them to come and ask for a bite of what I have. As long as they say "please" I give it to them. Try not to worry so much about her. She's just a toddler and won't be "begging" for food forever.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2009