Why do blacks always have to be reduced to pulling the race card?

It seems that in this answer section anytime blacks make an issue of something they are always reduced to pulling the race card as if their complaints have no validity. I'm black and I will admit that yes, there are times when blacks pull the race card, but why is it everytime a topic is posted in the answer section it's automatically "stop pulling the race card," "get over it," "stop whining," "things aren't happening to you because your black, it's because you're a thug." It gets really tiring and sometimes depressing to know that some feel that blacks are only making excuse and that things happening in their lives is there own fault. I also want to say that blacks aren't the only ones that pull the race card.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You're all right... in a way. White people don't owe black people anything, but this country certainly does. It's economic prosperity was founded on the backs of slaves. Every luxury and convenience that Americans enjoy today was due to some extent to the economy of slavery that existed over a hundred years ago. Does that mean that black people have the right to throw hate and resentment toward every white person they encounter? No, not at all. But, look at the distribution of wealth in this country, the achievement gap. Are you reallly telling me that slavery and the poor enforcement of their civil rights for years and years have had nothing to do with that? And you can't understand the anger...their need for some help to catch up and enjoy a slice of the pie? Racism and ignorance are still very much alive in this country, socially and economically, and its coming from all sides. Just take a look at some of these posts.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It is pure ignorance. Some people will never understand a situation/experience unless they become it. This goes for the rich viewing the poor, poor viewing the rich, sexuality, religion...and certainly with race.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If someone gets themselves in trouble financially or legally it is usually their fault.Why dont people just take responsibility for their lives, short comings, and do something to change the position their in rather then blame it on something else (skin color, poverty, etc). It makes someone appear very ignorant to play the race card when in reality anyone else of any other color would not play that card would they? I mean if they are in the same boat you are what can they say? Its cuz Im white.
    Anonymous

• I'm curious how you come up with the statistic that "anytime" blacks make a point this happens? Personally, I don't have time to click everyone's name when I read their questions to see what color they are before I answer, and for a lot of people, that still wouldn't help - they aren't in their pictures and they're set to private. And that doesn't even account for the anons.

Maybe the better question is how are you phrasing your questions that you feel you are constantly being accused of the race card and assuming if it happens to you, it happens to everyone?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• And some people DO understand. We understand that blacks have been right alongside whites in school since my MOTHER was in school. We understand that for DECADES blacks have been given a special ride on the affirmative action express while whites who might have been better qualified have been passed over. We understand that you are equal and the ONLY ones saying otherwise.....are YOU!

Anonymous

• In this country blacks and whites have the same rights. So when people say stupid things like it's because I'm black, it sounds so rediculous. Stop whining! It's not an excuse to be black!
    Anonymous

• People that have never experienced racism are incredibly naive about it. If it doesn't happen to them, it must not exist. The above anonymous poster is a perfect example. They don't have a clue what it is to live in a society that tries to keep you down.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Quite honestly, its because its been done so much that people honestly get tired of hearing it done over EVERYTHING. If you dont agree with Obama... automatically its about race, etc. I'm not black, but I have been around alot of them. In my experience, the ones who pull the race card on everything, are the ones using it as an excuse. I have seen 2 people come from the same ghetto, same circumstance, one grow up, get educated, and take responsibility for themselves and their actions, and the other be content to stay where they are citing they cant get a break cuz their black. There was a time in our society when a person could legitimately pull the race card often, but we have come along way since then. Now, most of the time, its an excuse. Not always mind you, but alot of times.
    Anonymous

• Just because blacks, mexicans, ect have the same rights doesnt mean they are always treated the same an have the same opportunities.
    Anonymous

good answer
    Anonymous