I think I agree with this article.....

for the most part. Here's the main statements I agree with:

... what really bothers me about this controversy. It's a sad state of affairs when people who were born in this, the freest and most prosperous country on Earth -- instantly becoming U.S. citizens, no less -- with a free education and every other opportunity to improve their lives find themselves afraid to compete with a group of people who don't have legal status, often can't speak English, and usually have no more than a 6th-grade education.

My fellow Americans, stop your trembling. Show some dignity. If you don't like competing with illegal immigrants, try making better choices. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Turn off those TV shows that constantly bash globalization and immigration.

Go back to school. Get more training. Move out of the comfort zone of your hometown to take a job in another state, if necessary. Take responsibility for your own life.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Great Post April, thanks for the best answer btw.
    Good luck trying to get people to " make it on their own" when society for 2 years has instilled in them an ideology that they are victims, need someone to blame, and the government will help them.
    Afterall, all we hear now is that Corporate America and the evil rich people are the reasons their lives are less than mediocre, and all the past life grievances they have, Prozac will never cure.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/13/navarrette.immigrants/index.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Well, to a degree. But here is what I don't understand.. over the course of the past two months, we have been hiring to management jobs at local malls. Starting wage 10.00 per hour. The towns we have been going to are economically challenged with lots of lay offs. We could not give these jobs away. THERE WAS NO ONE applying. It was awful. So I have to ask.. where were all the people looking for jobs? My guess, unemployed and on unemployment and loving it. That is why I do not begrudge illegals, or any immigrants for that fact. If they want to work we need them here.. If Americans don't want to work ship them to Mexico. I think we have far too many people living a free ride.. welfare, unemployment, etc... and Another things.. The Malls were full of shoppers... Spending money they don't have??? The American Way!!!
    Anonymous

• Personal responsibility is definitely lacking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• While I agree to a point. I have seen my husband lose bid after bid because an illegal immigrant was willing to do the work for pennies on a dollar. His dignity wouldnt allow him to work for slave wages as it would not provide for his family. Luckily though their work was crappy most of the time and the clients usually ended up calling him to do it right. We all know you charge more to fix someone elses mess ups. So it all works out in the end. But it really made him hook up with another company as a subcontractor who, like he, refuses to hire illegals. We have no problem hiring, working or networking with immigrants. Its the illegal part that grinds our gears.

Oh and by the way PP unemployment is not a free ride. At least in California, they take it out of your check and put away for you for a rainy day. Sort of like a forced rainy day fund. But I get what you are saying.

RaiderMommy

Answer by RaiderMommy at 2:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Starting wage 10.00 per hour. The towns we have been going to are economically challenged with lots of lay offs. We could not give these jobs away. THERE WAS NO ONE applying. It was awful.

These posts about "I have this job nobody wants" are always deliciously vague. Is $10/hr a livable wage where you live? Is this the kind of job where you make $10/hr on the face, but because it's retail management, you are actually salary and will frequently work 50-60 hrs a week for the same check as working 40 hrs/wk? Is it a decent neighborhood or is it somewhere that working retail means working after the store closes and walking alone in a dark parking where people have been attacked before? Are these jobs at stores that are rumored to be going out of business or filing bankruptcy soon? It's hard to work more than one job and have one of them be retail mgt. It's not a forgiving schedule. If it's not a "liveable" job, no takers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Well, to a degree. But here is what I don't understand.. over the course of the past two months, we have been hiring to management jobs at local malls. Starting wage 10.00 per hour.

***

Where are these malls located? The reason I ask is STARTING retail employees (age 17 and up, no experience) in the department store I work in is $8.15/hour! Associate Manager's make $11.75/hour, and Department Managers make $15.25/hour (plus benefits if 40 hours/week) I can't imagine why someone would take on the responsibilities of management (hours, staff coverage, difficult customers, making quotas, etc.) for a little over minimum wage!

Maybe your job description doesn't require as much of the management as the managers in my store are expected to meet, but, I'd venture to guess, you get what you pay for? Just curious what are some of the major responsibilities?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Answered at 1:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 by: While I agree to a point. I have seen my husband lose bid after bid because an illegal immigrant was willing to do the work for pennies on a dollar. His dignity wouldnt allow him to work for slave wages as it would not provide for his family. Luckily though their work was crappy most of the time and the clients usually ended up calling him to do it right. We all know you charge more to fix someone elses mess ups. But it really made him hook up with another company as a subcontractor who, like he, refuses to hire illegals. We have that same problem in the remodeling / flooring industry here! 100% agree! We also have on our business cards to support and hire only American owned!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 4:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009