• In the Spotlight:

Perplexed by the implication that Catholic and Christian are different, which I read in many answers.

I know the history of Christianity ... how Luther objected to some dogma and some corrupt political church practices and he founded Lutheran-ism ... how the English King separated his subjects from the power of the Pope and established the Church of England, which in America is the Episcopal Church ... the Puritans, the Quakers ... something of the stories of the Latter-Day Saints and the Seventh Day Adventists, etc. These and many other Protestant Christian churches have developed and grown over the years. But when did Catholics - the original Church - stop being "Christian" ??

waldorfmom

Asked by waldorfmom at 2:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't know about how the other churches feel...but I'm Lutheran and we feel that if you pray to anyone other than God, it is idolatry.
    Anonymous

• I hadn't heard that until I moved to Indiana. The people here honestly believe that Catholics aren't Christian. Obviously they didn't pay any attention in History class. I don't know how you can live your entire life and be so oblivious.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I believe Catholics are Christians because they believe Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that Jesus was the son of God. The way the practice makes them very different from Protestant Churches and I think alot of people just don't understand..but they are Christian.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• A Christian is someone who, believing that Jesus Christ is the son of the one and only true living God, the one and only true way to heaven, was crucified for the forgiveness of their sins, rose from the dead, has prayed and asked Him to come into their heart to be their personal Lord and Savior. Having done that, they believe the Bible to be the inerrant, Word of God, 100% true and relevant to today and to their best ability, strives to follow its teachings. It has nothing to do with religion, church denomination, ethnicity, or family tradition.
    con't...

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• con't
    Being a good person does not make you a Christian, going to a Bible believing/ teaching church does not make you a Christian. Just because you believe there is a God and you believe that Jesus is His son, does not make you a Christian. Only receiving Jesus Christ as your personal savior & having a relationship with Him makes you a Christian. However, In becoming a Christian, your life will reflect the fact that you are following the teachings of Christ, and your life choices will be made according to scriptural influence.

BlessedMommy64

• Those are usually the same people who think JW's, Eastern Orthodox and LDS are also not Christian. I write it off to overinflated ego, because even a 7th grade World Studies book would point out the facts that make those assumptions wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Catholic is a denomination like Baptist , Methodist , Lutheran . Christian is those in denominations.

Maybe this will help we have denomination of currency .. $10 , $5, $1 but we call it money... each are different denominations lumped into money!
    Same with religion denominations. each are different but are lumped into Christianity.

I hope that helps
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• one more thing to add... in all denominations.. it does not mean all are christian in each one... there are many who come to church and have yet to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior. That does include the Catholic Church.. there are also within the Catholic church different strands. For example , charismatic Catholics is on the rise . The Roman Catholic Church has quite a history , The Vatican will actually have a role to play in the End Times ( which is another topic) and it is not a pretty role unfortunately.) Another reason why people think Catholics are not christian is the idolatry in the church. Maninly Roman Catholic. Anyway that's the differences .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The vast majority of the world's Christian's don't share you belief Shaneagle. You are in a very small minority. All the rest of them consider themselves Christian. I know you are just going to quote that same line, but it doesn't change facts. They are Christians, whether or not you want to think so.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009