What is the easiest way to bathe my newborn?

She just had her first bath this week! She is a month old. I tried to give her a second bath in the sink and that didn't go so well. I just want to know how others bathe there babies. Should I try it in the tub with her tub inside the big tub? Should I sit with her in the big tub? lol I am a first time mom and don't want to hurt her or anything... Thanks for any advice you have to offer

Amber727

Asked by Amber727 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine loved being in the shower with me. I think it was some of the sweetest time I ever had with them. Then against me just letting the water run over us. As soon as their belly button fell off they were in the shower with me. It sounds like your little one is cold. Have a towel ready as your turning the water off. My dh would be waiting with a towel as soon as I was done. If they didn't take a shower with me then I put them in the kitchen sink. I had a little tub as well until they could sit up. don't let this stress you out. Have fun! Enjoy bathtime.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 10:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have done both little baby tub inside the big bath tub and laid a think, soft towel down on the floor of the big tub and filled it with a little bit of water. I didnt put in enough to get alot in her ears and kept her from sliding by keeping her on the towel.

She also is less afraid of the big tub now at 7 months because we put her in the big tub from the time she was 3 weeks old. She loves the tub!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have one of those little plastic mini-tubs for newborns and I also got a foam pad to put in it to boost her up a little bit. She can relax back on it and she won't roll from side to side.

They sell them at Target.
    It's wonderful. It was so scary bathing her that first time with her all slippery and everything.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 3:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i have one of the bath slings. its like a rectanglure wire with a mess cloth over it, it works great and i would put her in the big bath tub with just about 3 inches of water in it. but if you want you could set the baby bath tub inside the big bath tub and fill it up. i like the sling though because it keeps her in place, not sliding around. when baby when to grandmas house she would put baby in the kitchen sick with one of the slings. the slings are at walmart for like 7.00
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 3:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• What we did, from the time she was about a week to two or three months...
    Supplies: 3 Towels, Wash Cloth, Plastic Cup, Sink

We folded two towels onto the counter beside the sink. After cleaning the sink i filled one side up with soapy water and one up with clean water. With another towel thrown over my shoulder, i layed her onto the two folded towels on the sink. You have to keep your hand on her belly at ALL times to make sure she doesnt roll over or scoot or something. Take the wash cloth and get it wet with the soapy water. Quickly wash the baby, hair last. Then take the cup and pour tiny amounts of water to rinse her, keeping away from her belly button until the cord falls off.

Everything to do with newborns is scary, isnt it? Changing their diapers, changing the clothes, bathing, other people holding them... Good luck!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The plastic baby tub was easiest for me. I filled it and set it on our large bathroom counter. Then I even put the slanted baby mat on it for her to lay on until it was easier to hold her up myself. Now she's 5 months and I just bathe with her. When I'm done bathing her i call hubby in to dry her off, lotion her and clothe her while I add hot water to my bath and finish up myself.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Your babies bath is going to last MAYBE three to five minutes ( I was always afraid of getting him cold) so I just used the big tub ever time. (I have since with my second baby used the kitchen sink because he can sit up and I think it's cute, check out my pictures!)

Just run enough water to put maybe an inch or two in the tub and use a towel under them. I had an infant tub and I always felt like it got cold much faster...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• For the first few months I just sponge bathed him in the bathroom. I have tried those little tubs where they can sit inside of it and kind of recline, but my son just screamed and cried whenever he was in one. So up until a couple weeks ago, I just sponge bathed him. Luckily he's able to sit up now and he likes being in the big tub so it works out. But that's really just what I did and I'm a first time mom too. You'll find something your kid will like and I would just stick with it until you think they're ready for the next step up. :-D
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 4:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Give her a shower with you, they love the water and it's quick & easy. If not, use a baby bath with the hammock in it and put it into your big tub.
    Anonymous

• we bathe our son up til about 6 months in his plastic tub in the kitchen sink.. ( no divider) and now, he just takes a bath in the sink.. and boy he thinks that is funny... dont bathe her in the big tub just yet. but on the counter top or dining room table with a baby tub that works wonders.. and your back wont go out.. either lol
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009