Irregular bowel movements

My son is 5 and his bowel movements are very irregular.He has one like every three to four days which I know it not good for his age.I have tried increasing his fiber doens't help.When he does have a bowel movement they seem to be big which cause him to have blood sometimes beccause the bowel movements sometimes leave cuts.I am not sure what eles to do am really worried.Any suggestions please

AngelPink

Asked by AngelPink at 2:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• apple juice or prune juice each day worked for my children.,
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 3:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My nephew just turned seven, when he was around 4 or 5 he had issues with bowel movements. Sorry I can't be specific, I don't know exactly what was wrong, but he did have to take some kind of medication for a quite some time. I would talk to a doctor.
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 3:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Some children train their bodies to not listen to itself when it needs to have a bowel movement. They lose the urge to poop even when they need to. Your child may need to see a doctor. The doctor will more than likely prescribe a medication and give suggestions for your child to try to retrain himself to respond to the need to go to the bathroom.
    Godblessmy3

Answer by Godblessmy3 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That really sounds like constipation. I bet hes holding them in because each one is painful. If you have already increased the fiber and prune juice (cut back a little on the dairy) you should put a call in to your doc for suggestions. Also, when my boy gets really stopped up I do little exercises with his legs where I gently bend them up to his chest (in a bicycler type motion) and this seems to help get things moving. Good luck.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2009