I am a 16 year old mom and my parents dont let me do anything alone!

I am a very good mother and consistantly complimented by other adults on my maturity and responsability but my own parents treat me like I cant do anything and try to take over anything I start doing! They know how I feel and say "Thats ridiculous, you are still a kid!"

Everyone else thinks my situation calls for a little more respect, at least when it comes to my 7 month old daughter. What do you think?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• How is getting pregnant breaking their trust?? I was 17 when I had my daughter (16 when I got pregnant). I was not going behind my moms back and lieing about having sex. She knew I was on birth control, and that I used condoms too. It just happens. To the poster. Ignore people who do not have the balls to pass judgment and place their names with it. They are cowards when posting anon... Anyway. You do deserve respect. Parents will always see you as immature and irresponsible unless you are living the exact life that they want you to. Take care of your baby, get your education and then get a job that can give you the ability to get out of their house. Show them they are wrong and do not doubt yourself because of them or naysayers like them who believe that just because you are young you are doomed to be a bad mother. I am showing them all still ;-)
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 3:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Are you living with them? If so, is it possible for you to move into some kind of housing for young moms? Maybe if you are out on your own they will give you more respect. I know that situation has got to be hard for you!!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 3:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think you're still a kid even though you have one yourself. You still live under their roof and need to abide by the rules of the house. If you don't like it get your own place.

Anonymous

• I agree with you, but maybe they are just trying to protect you and maybe they think that you need guidance
    Anonymous

• How was that mean? It's the truth. It wasn't meant to be that way but I see all the self righteous people take it that way.

Anonymous

• You may be a great mother (and I believe you) but you are still their baby, with a baby. It may just be something you have to deal with until you gain independence and live on your own. Until then make sure you are as knowledgeable as possible on taking care of your baby. If you want to do something one way, and they want to do it differently show them proof that this is the way it should be done. But realize that they may know best in some situations as well. Good luck...I'm glad to hear you are doing well as a teen mom.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I will grant you that you definetly deserve a little more respect because you are raising you baby. But look at it from their perspective and please don't take this wrong, first let me tell you why I say this. My son is 14 and up until he was 12 I would've believed and trusted everything he said was of god's word...BUT, then he started doing some really dumb things and getting into trouble, having sex yep a parents worse nightmare and now it is hard for me to trust that he will make good decisions. Your parents aren't trying to disrespect you they are just guarding their little girl, yes to them you are still their little girl. But you would make me proud and I am sure that you being a good Mother is making them proud too. They just aren't ready to let you go. Hang in there sweeitie and enjoy it.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I got pregnant at 18 and I moved in with my boyfriend (he had his own house) my parents were very supportive, but I agree with you, your parents need to respect you more and let you do things your way. Maybe they just want to be helpful though, I know its tough but is it possible for you to move out? Im not sure about the laws in your state but where I live, if you are 16 you can be emancipated, especially if you have a baby. I dont know if thats even an option for you or not tho. Are you still in school? If you are, does your mom keep the baby for you while your gone to school? Im not trying to be nosy, just trying to help. you can pm me if you want
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH! I had my 1st in high school, went to a school for teen moms. Alot of the other girls had zero freedom because after they got pregnant they lost all trust with their moms and also they had moms that felt 16 was 2 young to be capable of caring for a baby.
    I have a yr old and 17 yr old right now and I know I would let them have more freedom, except with my car,lol.
    I just know that if you aren't allowed freedom now you will resent your mom in the future. All I can say is that you are under their roof and it's their rules. You have to get your own roof if you want your own rules.
    While I have said that I do in the end understand where you are coming from because of expeirence.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You broke their trust by getting pregnant and have to earn their trust back.
    Anonymous