How old is too old for a bottle?

My son is about 13 months old, and he only has a bedtime bottle of milk and one in the morning. I told daycare and my mother to only give him his sippy cup of water instead of a bottle during the day so that he can get used to this. My mother told me that its not right to do that cuz he's not getting enough liquids. He doesnt like his sippy, but I figured if its the only thing he has that he'll drink it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One year (12 months) is the recommended age that you should keep a bottle as a main part of your babys diet. After one year one or two a day is good possibly switching to cows milk or another product (baby is old enough). Then you do exactly what you seem to have tried and try to teach him to use a cup. Milk will stay a regular part of his diet for the rest of his life. As long as you arent giving him too much it shouldnt matter how he drinks it.
    Dont be worried too much about the sippy cup, but do keep showing it to him.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• IMO not after 1 year of age. I think they should be off they bottle by the time they turn 1.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Wow I'm kinda going through the same thing! My daughter is going to be 14-months old soon, and her doctor said she should still be getting around 20 oz of milk a day. Typically, she drinks 8 oz of formula in the morning through a bottle, 4 oz in the afternoon through a sippy cup, and then another 8 oz at bedtime. I also give her a sippy cup of water to drink from "on demand" through the day. Sometimes she also gets 4 oz of 100% fruit juice if she wants it during lunch, if she hasn't already eaten fruit. She gets a little too energetic if I give it to her at dinnertime. lol Hope that helps!
    WMommyW

Answer by WMommyW at 3:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It really depends on the child. Personally my children had ALL bottles/pacifiers taken away when they turned one year old. They seemed to be ok with it, but they have the bottle like sippy cups that I let them use until they used the hard top sippys (they used all sippy's until age 2-2 1/2). Try showing him that the sippy is just like the bottle. Showing your son that he is only using sippy cups during the day is perfectly ok, but I am sure he is probably getting confused by him getting bottles at bedtime and in the morning. Why dont you try giving him his milk in sippy's too?
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• honestly by a year or shortly after a year they dont need that bottle anymore. Id say toss the botle all together. Its probably confusing him that he still gets a bottle twice a day. put all his liquids in a sippy. maybe try one of the sippy cups that have a soft silicone top it might make the transition easier. Trust me when hes thristy he will drink from it.
    Anonymous

• My daughter cried at 13 mos when I got rid of all bottles! Because she was way too old for it and was not giving up that one evening bottle. I would hold her after dinner time while she drank her bottle and fall asleep in my arms then I would lay her down asleep already. This started because i nursed for 8 mos so she was used to falling asleep in my arms at the breast so the bottle served that same purpose! She'd cry herself to sleep, with my reassurance that she'd be fine with out her bottle. This went on for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. She would drink her cup of milk at dinner like her brother. then go to bed just fine! I also got her excited about her sippy cups! I would let her have one in bed with only water in it. She liked that and still does!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 3:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Something that really worked for me was TUMMY TICKLERS. They are prefilled with apple juice when you buy them and they are reusable. I started my first son on them when he was about 11 or 12 months old. Right when they recommend switching to vitamin D. He took to them immediately. It doesn't have a soft nipple so it's not like a bottle that way, but they still have to suck the milk out like it was a bottle. I've had the same ones for almost a year now. And the only place I have found them are at Wal-mart Supercenters. Hope this helps someone.
    erikahuth

Answer by erikahuth at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Both of my kids were done with the bottle before they were a year old. D started taking the sippy cup at 6 months and W started taking it at 9 months. Both boys were combo breast fed and formula fed. D stopped bfing on his own at 6 months and that's when I introduced the sippy to him. He took to it so well and never looked back at the bottle. W continued to bf off and on until he was almost a year old, but I started introducing the sippy early too...it took him 3 months to finally agree to taking the sippy over the bottle. I think that anything over a year is too old for the bottle, but I also know that it's hard to get the child to give up the bottle for the cup. Good luck. You son will not go thirsty, when he gets thirsty enough, he will pick up that sippy and drink his water. That's how I got my kids to start drinking water...that's all I gave them with the exception of meals. Now that's what they ask for. GL!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2009