Why does there have to be color?

I am curious why everyone must be a strong ____ (white, black, Indian, Mexican, Asian) woman/man. Why can't we just be a strong woman/man? I am not trying to offend or upset anyone, I am just honestly curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• People are proud of their race and heritage.

Sometimes they use it as a way of sounding superior. I don't think there's any reason to turn a blind eye to color. But I think maybe right now isn't the time to FOCUS on it. With as much racism and hostility going on it would be nice if everyone could let color go for a little while. Then we could take a step forward.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I use it but not to sound superior. In my race I think it comes from HAVING to be strong in certain situations. Rosa Parks...strong black woman. Michelle Obama...strong black woman. There are certain women in my race who just embody strength and courage. Its something very distinct and I'm not sure you can always understand it if you have never identified it in someone.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't think that everyone necessarily does feel that way. I have a lot of conflict with my ILs over this. They are upset that dh and I are not raising the kids to be 'Indian kids.' We have chosen instead to raise them as 'human beings' and not to stress any particular part of their heritage over any other. Not to cover it up, mind you, but not to make that the focus of their identity. I do think that some measure of it has to do with past oppression- if you are a member of an oppressed group who is made to feel somehow less than the dominant group, being proud to be a part of that group is a step in empowering yourself and claiming equality. Hence 'black power' and 'gay pride' and similar movements. Some people whose experiences differ may not feel the need to strongly associate themselves with a given identity.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Con't. My BIL and dh are a case in point on this... when dh was growing up he did not feel 'set apart' by his race (south asian) and had friends of many races, and though he is proud of his culture he does not put that first and foremost in his priorities. BIL, on the other hand, always felt discriminated against and picked on. He chose to really immerse himself in that Indian identity to the point that he had an arranged marriage, has very few friends outside that cultural grouping, and cannot for the life of him understand why dh would not want to do the same. Different experiences leading to really different feelings about racial/cultural identity and it's importance in their lives. It is not so important for dh, it is pivotal to BIL. I'm not sure if either is right or wrong, it's just very different from two people who grew up in the same family.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thats a great answer freela...that is very true.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I interviewed an Obama staffer last year, and he said something that touched on this. There are 2 "black experiences" growing up in the US. 1 is about growing up in a mostly segregated area. You attend a Traditional Black Church, your social circle is primarily black. If you date interracially, you WILL tick off someone in your family. The other is growing up in an integrated area. If you attend a TBC, it's not the focal point of your life, and not something all your friends automatically understand. Your social circle is more than one race, and if you date interracially you MIGHT tick someone off, but no guarantee. The bigger group 2 gets, the louder group 1 gets. (and then it was more specific about Obama vs Sharpton than generalities, but apply that to any group, gay, Italian, Greek, the same applies).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• While individuals are proud of who they are we also serve a very creative God who has created us in a variety of ways. Thus making it hard for some to see the person instead of the shade of their skin.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 3:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Your heritage has nothing to do with your color in my opinion.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 4:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Personally I could care less about the color but who the person is inside. I'm just sick of the "African American", "MexTex American", "Irish American", etc. We're all Americans and those who claim to be anything else more then likely have had no one in their family even visit those country's let alone live there in 100's of years. Let's drop the labels folks and become man/woman, Americans.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• To me its hard to claim a heritage.I'm pale as a sheet,but a mixture of all kinds of races. I am a proud strong American Woman. That's what I do claim.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009