Sinus Surgery Info on a 2 y/o

BACKGROUND: My asthmatic 2 y/o is very sick. Symptoms; In the last 6 weeks, he has been running a 102 temp ( tested negative for strep, pneumonia, and the flu.) He has a cough with some wheezing, eats very little, plays very little (he's a wild child normally who can't sit still), whines that he's tired constantly, has eye discharge off and on, and is very cranky. They did a sinus xray and discovered that he once again has a bad sinus infection. This is number 4 in the last 6 months. This particular sinus infection is worse than the others. They said he has no air flow in his sinuses because they are completely blocked. For this infection, they have given him, Bactrim, Zithromax, and now Clindamycin. So far nothing is working. He has had 3 sets of ear tubes and needs another set and he already had his adenoids removed.
His ENT said no to surgery. Anyone's elses child have sinus surgery so young? Any info appreciated. TY.

SophieDrewsMom

Asked by SophieDrewsMom at 3:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I used to work for an ENT, and I have assisted MANY patients in their recovery from sinus surgery and I'm with the doctor on this one. NO WAY! Sinus surgery is not always successful, even for adults who understand how to follow the recovery instructions, and can understand what they're going through. It is painful, has a long recovery period, and requires LOTS of constant aftercare. I wouldn't do it. See if your doc will refer you to an infectious disease specialist and maybe try to reduce the infection that way. Best of luck to you in getting your little one back to good health!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thank you for your reply. I guess it is not as easy as they make it seem.
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 3:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• According to the internet it can be done on a child that young when they have become antibiotic resistant like your child.
    Anonymous

• My son is 20mnth and we are going through almost the same thing.... We aren't doing anymore surgery, the ENT is doing blood work to check for immune disorders and things like leukemia. Not to scare you.. HAve they cultured anything from his sinuses to see what kind of bacteria they are dealing with??
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009