is it o.k just to take the prenatal vitamin and no the iron does harm the baby in any way?

Milindus

Asked by Milindus at 3:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If the doctor gave you additional iron take it, the baby will deplete your iron. If is it a matter of cost, go to the pharmacy and find a "generic" cheaper brand.
    Anonymous

• if your iron is low and they gave you pills for it then yes take both
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 3:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Your care provider will let you know from the initial bloodwork if your iron is borderline. There are lots of ways to get iron nutritionally (search google). I am borderline anemic when NOT pregnant, so I take Floradix (a whole-foods based liquid...no constipation or tummy upset...and all-natural).

If your iron is low, your blood volume cannot increase as it needs to and baby will be malnourished. This will not happen without you knowing it, though....when my iron is low, I feel like I'm walking around with a wet blanket on or like I have to drag all of my appendages on the ground as if they have dumbbells attached to them.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 3:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• like the other post said if your dr gave you extra iron then yes you need to take it. He gave it to you because your iron is low meaning you need to take more iron. the baby is depleting your iron.
    Anonymous

• yes if the dr gave it to you take it but if not then dont worry about it i dont take extra iron and my vitamins dont have it in there but i have enough iron in my diet so nothing has happened to me or my baby
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2009