Am i being too nice??

I am a SAHM , so i am able to pick up my kids from school everyday. The problem is, I am now being asked to pick up other kids from school all the time, and drop them off where ever they are supposed to go. I have a small car and sometimes have to make arrangements for someone to watch my baby, so that i can pick up extra kids, so they will all fit in my car.
The reason I do this is because, there was a time when I was in there shoes and didn't have someone to pick up my kids. None of these moms have helped me in the past. One day i will probably go back to work, and need help and I know for sure one of these moms won't offer to help.
I tired of doing this, but don't know what to do. any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, If you are paying for Gas, And car insurance, And maybe even car note. Just tell them Be honest. Say Look I am unable to keep picking the kids up. I am sorry. I hope you will understand. I Just have too much on my plate. And leave it at that.
    Patty M
    MOMofTwo_99_00

Answer by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Do they pay you anything to drive their kids all over town? I would just tell them it is not convenient for you to have to leave your child with someone else. If you don't feel they would do that favor for you then why would you care if you upset them, IMO
    Anonymous

• No they do not pay me anything...and get this... sometimes i even bring their kids to my house to play!!
    Anonymous

• Just tell them you don't have room in your car and don't go out of your way to leave your baby somewhere. I would appreciate someone like you so much. Things are really hard to organize on short days and stuff, but it sounds like they are taking advantage of you! You may have to be a taxi driver for your own kids but not other people's kids!!!
    Anonymous

• Definitely too nice!!!
    Anonymous

• I've been doing it since Sept. How do I tell them now? I am being taken advantage of...i know. I feel bad.
    Anonymous

• I can sympathize, it's really hard to learn to say no. Maybe you should try seeing which of these parents are eager to help you out in a tight spot, and then you can begin to decide who you will start saying "No" to.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It is hard if you have been doing it for so long, but I would let them know that the babysitter for your baby fell through and you no longer have room. Or even tell them that you are "considering" providing after school care for a little more income and are not sure how much longer you can give rides..... and that way they might realize that you can get paid for what you are doing and know that the favor is temporary.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There really are smart nice moms like me on CM. Thank you ladies! It's me...mamaada...kind of new here.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Tell them you're not able to arrange for a sitter for your baby so just will not have room in your car anymore.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009