Do you regret not breastfeeding?

If you chose not to breastfeed your child, do you regret it, even a little bit? Do you think your child is just as well off being formula fed as if they'd been nursed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, actually I don't regret choosing not to breastfeed. I did attempt it. Right after I had him, I had tried to breastfeed and couldn't get him to latch on. I was exhausted (i pushed for 3 hours). I was uncomfortable with it also.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• What I regret is not trying hard enough to get mine to latch. I did pump for 7 months though.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Nope it made me verry uncomfortable and I did attempt but he wouldn't latch on. I said I would try it and I did but I knew in the back of my head I didn't want to BF
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 4:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If I could go back to those early months and change anything, I would make two changes.
    I would ban my MIL from the house and I would contact a breastfeeding consultant to see if she could help with the extreme pain. Would it have helped? I don't know. My number one advice for moms in the last months of pregnancy is to take the phone number of a consultant to the hospital with them, just in case.

Do I think my child would have been better off? No. But I think I would have.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I breastfed my oldest for three months (I am currently BFing almost 7 months with his little brother!) I wish I would have had more confidence in myself that I could do it in the first place. I agree with the PP, if you think it's something that you want to do get HELP, I didn't have a clue who to contact and didn't have any support in knowing what I should be doing differently. This time around, is almost effortless, and I know it's because I have the confidence in myself.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Nope. I never wanted to breastfeed but said I would try it when I was pregnant with my first. I hated every single minute of it. I hated it so much that by the 3rd day I wished I had never had a baby and ignored her unless she was eating. I was so depressed I didn't want to eat, watch TV or anything. I just sat in bed and cried because I had made a huge mistake having a baby.
    Luckily I realized that was all silly and asked for a bottle and things just clicked after that. I never looked back and don't regret it one bit. All 4 of my children were 100% formula fed and all are very healthy and happy. They rarely ever get sick and we haven't had anything worse then a stuffy nose and cough and slight sore throat. Out of 8 1/2 years of being a mother there have only been like 5 sick visits and those were all for the older 2 and all for stupid stuff (2 or 3 were for pink-eye).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I regret not trying longer. I stopped BFing when my son was about 2 weeks old. He would latch, then unlatch, and it was killing me. I was in tears everytime I fed him, it was a horrible experience. But my son has a BIG appetite, to say the least, and I was exhausted trying to feed him so frequently. So I pumped for about 2 more weeks, then switched to formula. He was a MUCH happier baby on formula and my DH could help so I could rest, so I'm not upset about it. Back then though, I felt horrible that I was quitting. I don't know if it would have been better if I would have kept trying, but I feel like I should have seen a lactation consultant, even though everyone at the hospital said that we both were doing great. Maybe it'll be better for the next baby ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I BF now. I BFed my last two. I regret so much that I didn't BF my older kids. I wanted to I was just ignorant about it and didn't have any support and didn't know anyone who did IRL. I should have tried harder and found someone. I often wish I'd had the internet back then. I wanted them to have the best but I wasn't able to give it to them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't consider myself less of a mom or woman cause I didn't breastfeed my kids. I also don't think a woman is less of a mom cause she had a c section. Nature sometimes has other plans for us. My kids are are healthy and trived as formula babies.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• selfish women who didn't wanted to bf in the first place don't regret anything. I even read someone who said she didn't beceuase she didn't want saggy boobs, such an ignorant idiot!

breast dont sag from BFing, they sag because when ur preg ur boobs get bigger and that stretches ur skin and the elasticiy in our own breast some women are lucky and have awesome elasticity and go right back to normal dome (most) women don't and their breast sag from it, even if they didn't breastfeed. So much ignorance out there. I have found that these women who don't want to breastfeed will come up with any junk to not do so. One women once told me when I was preg that when she was born she had milk in her breast so her doc suctioned it out and when she had her own kids she had no milk 45min later she asked her hub if he remembered tyring her breastmilk after their 1st child was born. UHM, I thought u had no BM? liers.
    Anonymous