What would you do??

Ok, my neighbors are always making noise, playing loud music, slamming doors, knocking on the walls(I think they're hanging pictures or something), yelling, the works. We've tried to be nice and ask them to keep it down, but it never seems to work. We've tried calling the cops and that doesn't even seem to work. This wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't live in a duplex because whatever they start up with we hear clearly. I've even had problems with the kids that live over there trying to come into my house, one tried to crawl into the office window one day while I was in the room, he freaked out and ran off when he saw me, but still this is getting out of hand. I don't know what else I could do, we've tried being nice, we've tried calling the cops, they just never stop. How would you handle something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Keep calling the cops. Keep complaining to your landlord.

While you're on the computer now, go to google and type in "(your city) noise ordinances." Among the results you'll find your city's rules for noise and most likely a link to a list of ALL your city's ordinances. Print them out for handy access. They're very handy to have when you call the cops or talk to your neighbors. It isn't just you saying "You're being too loud." it's you saying "The city says you're being too loud."

I have very noisy neighbors too. Annoying neighbors who have people over at all hours. I haven't called the cops yet--Until I thought to look up the ordinances I was scared to do it because I didn't know if my complaint was valid but now that I've seen it in writing I'm quite prepared to make the call with their next offense.

Keep complaining until something happens. I would be livid if someone was climbing through my windows.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Have you tried talking to your landlord?
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• OP here- We've told our land lord about the problems with the neighbors, he keeps telling us that there are only supposed to be two people living there but there are 12 that we've counted (including kids) he just tells us to call the cops on them. He won't kick them out because one of the two who SHOULD be there works for him, he doesn't even know why the others are there but he won't kick them out.
    Anonymous

• What do the cops say when you call them?
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• OP again- they tell me that they'll ask them to be quiet, but until they do something illegal there's really nothing they can do. I keep calling them tho, if nothing else it'll let them know that I'm really not ok with the noise.
    Anonymous

• If asking them yourslef is not working, calling the cops is not working and asking the landlord to do something about it and he wont is not working.... The your only options is to move out! plain and simple.... You have done all you can to fix the problem yourself and it hasnt worked. for you peace of mind and your familys... MOVE OUT!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, I would move. And then sue your landlord for the deposit he will most likely try and keep and your moving costs!!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• OP again- We actually want to move out, but we can't afford to right now, I'm pregnant and can't work because of complications so he's paying for everything, what bothers us the most is that the ones that seem to be making all the noise are the ones who aren't supposed to be there.
    Anonymous

• i would think your able to break the lease since this is a serious problem. record them being loud and write down everything that happens for any evidence should you need it give it to landlord when you tell him your breaking the lease and you want your refund back.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm with melody77, great advice.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009