HELP!! My 8 month old hasn't gained weight in 2.5 months!!!!!

My daughter is 8.5 months old and weighs 16 pounds (she got weighed at the doctor's yesterday). She hasn't gained ANY weight since her last doctor's appt 2.5 months ago!! Her doctor says that I need to start feeding her more.

The problem is her schedule. This is what her daily schedule looks like:

7:30am breakfast (2.5 tablespoons fruit, 1 tablespoon cereal) + 4 oz bottle
9am to 10am nap
10:30am snack + 3 oz bottle
noon to 1pm nap
1:30pm snack + 3 oz bottle
3pm-4pm nap
4:30pm dinner (2.5 tablespoons veggie, 1 tablespoon rice) + 3 oz bottle
7:30pm 6 oz bottle then bed

Where do I sneak in some extra food? I don't want to just feed her for the sake of feeding her...doesn't that cause eating disorders? I'd like to feed her because she's hungry...but how do I know how much food is enough and how much is too much?

PLEASE help!! It's an emergency!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make her bottles bigger.. 9 month olds need on average 7-8 ounces of formula/breastmilk which is 3-4 feedings in 24 hours, so a total of 21-32 ounces of formula/breastmilk.. also, do you feed her a bottle first and then follow with food? and for her morning cereal, i would bring that up to about 2 to 3 ounces... i have a feeding chart in my book... from baby411 it says 6-9 months liquid 24-32 ounces and 4-5 meals so 8-14 ounces of solid food... 1-3 feedings of solids.. if you have the book its page 160
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Well it's normal for them to lose weight and not gain any around that age. They are crawling good, playing, getting around everywhere. My suggestion would be give her a little more at each helping, includeing more oz's of milk. But I wouldn't worry too much, she is just busy, busy,busy getting into everything!
    chasmom2001

Answer by chasmom2001 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I know every child is different... but my girls were eating way more than that at 8 months.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I dont think she is getting enough at that age, my kids ate the whole jar of the baby food and still took a whole bottle, I didnt force mine to eat but I didnt stop them from eating either. They are not over or underweight. Try to increase the bottle oz, and dont measure the babyfood, let her eat until she is done... She will let you know when she is full.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• ok first off you arnt feeding her lunch? no where in her shedual is there lunch. you go from snack to a nap to snack to nap to dinner?
    you need to be giving her a full lunch
    try something along these lines
    Breakfast
    snack
    nap
    Lunch
    nap
    snack
    Dinner
    snack
    bed time.
    Plus increase her food intake at her meals. she is probably still hungry and would eat more if you would give her more. she will turn her head when shes not hungry. let her eat till she is full.
    Anonymous

• Yes... my girls were drinking 8-9 oz. bottles + full jars of third stage baby food at this age... she really needs lunch hon, anon421 is right...
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I should probably add that my youngest daughter is very small, so I know this is definitely not over-feeding them!!! She is 13 months old and wears 12 months... which, as anyone who has kids knows, is small... the sizes usually never match.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh yeah, everyone else is right... she'll turn her head when she's full. Every baby does.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 4:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• First you need to increase the caloric content of the foods. This will make a big difference. Also increase the amount. Feed her the food until she is full. Replace the snack with a bottle, or give her a small snack with the bottle. Lunch needs to be a full meal just like breakfast and dinner.

Instead of just fruit (which has 70 calories per container), replace it with a full fat yogurt (which has 110 calories per container). There are jars of yogurt or you can use YoBaby. 1tablespoon of cereal does not have very much nutritional value. If you increase it to 1/8 of a cup, you add an additional 30 calories to the food. Most babies eat 4 oz of fruit and cereal for each meal at this age.

Babies NEED full fats and calories.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Every baby is different, some gain, some lose and some don't lose or gain. it does sound like she isn't getting enough, I seen there is no lunch. She needs a full lunch.

I have a very tiny 2 year and she wears 12-18 months, my 5 year old son wears an 18-24 months.
    Anonymous