average crawl age

i know that the crawl age will depend of each baby but what age is the average for start crawling? thank you...and also could they start crawling before learn how to sit by themselves? thaks again

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• average age is about 6 months. if she needs help sitting up by herself, sit her up and put a couple of pillows behind her and she will learn to control her back, and hold herself up! oh yeah they can crawl before they sit up though!!
    chasmom2001

Answer by chasmom2001 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my son started sitting up by himself at like 4 mo but the doctor said he was advance and he had really good trunk control. he is 6mo now and he is up on all fours kinda scooting; not quite crawling, but very close
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 4:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Don't get discouraged if your baby does not crawl at 6 months ... mine is 9.5 months and has been "crawling" for a month. I say "crawling" because he still hasn't quite learned the concept, it's more like he's doing the Worm ... but it gets him from A to B, ya know? I wasn't upset he wasn't crawling yet. He's a big boy, in the 90th %tile for both height and weight. He's in some 18 month clothing right now, so he has a lot more to move than the "average" child :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My daughter started crawling somewhere around seven months. She did a lot of rolling places from about 4 & 1/2 months until then. I think she thought it was easier because she still got places which was exciting to her. But be thankful for the lack of mobility while it lasts because she is going every where and getting into everything!!! Good luck.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 5:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The average age at which babies begin crawling has gotten later over the last couple of decades, because babies spend much less time just hanging out on the floor. Baby-wearing, back-sleeping, and excersaucers/walkers have all led to babies that crawl later and later. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something to keep in mind. It's also becoming increasingly common for babies not to crawl at all, but to go right to walking. Crawling is not a developmentally necessary step, unlike sitting and (obviously) walking. Many pediatricians don't bat an eye unless your baby isn't crawling by a year. My husband didn't crawl at all, and my daughter is nine months and doesn't crawl yet, but can already take a few supported steps and can almost pull up by herself.
    Mergath

Answer by Mergath at 5:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009