Just wondering, is it common that people don't buy you a gift off your baby registry?

is that ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes its normal and its just fine that they dont. not everyone looks at your registry and not eveyrone is going to shop where you registered.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• well it jus depends some ppl dont take the time to even look at the registry but also it jus depends on how the price range is on the gifts thats on the registry
    sam0816

Answer by sam0816 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Alot of people don't because the registries are a pain. Walmart has one, but it's always broken, and when it working you can't find the items. They give you a confusing description and no picture! So, I usually buy what I think they need and include a gift reciept.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think it's perfectly ok to NOT go by the registry when selecting a gift. Many people give what they want the baby to have (fun books, clothes, toys) NOT the necessities on the registry (bottles, towels, undershirts). I bet some people feel as if they aren't putting any thought into the gift if they buy from the registry. I don't - I like to get new moms what they need! Get this - going to a shower this weekend and the mom-to-be wants homemade, gently used or organic! Pretty cool in spite of the economy but wow, it's tough!!
    VickyandJenCom

Answer by VickyandJenCom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Of course it's okay. People don't HAVE to buy you a gift from the registry, you should be grateful for the thoughtfulness of a gift, not focusing on whether it was something you asked for or not. Registries are for suggested items, they are not freaking required gifts.
    Anonymous

• I'm hoping that is not the case for my shower coming up, but I'm anticipating that it is probably going to happen based on some of the random gifts people gave me for my wedding shower a few years ago!
    But looking at the bright side, I'm having twins so I'll take whatever people want to give me!
    L_Bass

Answer by L_Bass at 4:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yup. Even though it can be kind of frustrating, people don't have to buy off your registry. We have some family that do not like close to a Babies R Us, which is where we registered. Plus they don't buy on the internet, so that wasn't an option. No biggie though, any gift is apprecaited ... even ones that are clothing items you would NEVER put your child in LOL :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i always try to buy atleast one thing on the registry then go buy other little stuff that i think will come in handy...like.. diapers, wipes, soaps, wash cloths and bottles.....
    1sttymmom409

Answer by 1sttymmom409 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• no they don't go by the registry. well some look at the registry to get an idea on what you need then they go some place cheaper. i only got two dupicates. but its fine. the two duplicate items were necessary because i will have one at my parents and one at my own place. so not a big deal. i got lots and lots of clothes. but i got alot of useful stuff too. no diapers though. lol i guess i am on my own for that. but its just nice to get stuff. enjoy ur shower
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I usually buy something useful from the registry and then something really cute that I found and made me think of the parents. Things they probably wouldn't buy themselves. I'm traveling to my baby shower and some of my family aren't big internet shoppers and won't drive the hour or more the Babies R Us, so I'm also registering at Target, hoping to get some things that I want. I've heard that Target and Babies R Us will let you return items without a receipt if they sell it and then you get store credit.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009