• In the Spotlight:

Do you have a degree???

My hubby has been out of work since December. It's so sad. All of the employment agencies in our area are swamped with waiting list. You know, I don't want to call every job easy and all of us stupid, but I think some of the qualifications are too high. Why do you need a bachelors degree to "stock inventory"? I saw an ad thats job description was to document inventory for a cell phone store and record it into the computer. Times consuming yes, but does anyone else think you need a BA to do inventory and a few key strokes? A college education, of course, is awesome, but here's my question....Do you think that some employers are setting the requirement bar too high keeping well qualified individuals from getting a good job based on the fact they don't have a degree? There have been so many job postings my husband is trained and certified for, but has been told he has to have a degree. I'm frustrated:(

Mrs.Phillips007

Asked by Mrs.Phillips007 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think in some cases this is true.. I am in college right now to get my AABA (Associates) in medical billing and coding. I will be returning to school after graduation to pursue what I really want to do which is psychology (child, educational, or juvenile). I think that job should not require a degree but that is my opinion.. Most idiots can count an object and enter it into a computer...
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 4:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have an Associate of Science degree. I have been told that I have too much education and not enough work experience. I have 2 semester left before I will get my B.S. in Elementary Education but the problem is there has been a hiring freeze at all of the schools. So basically, I will have a degree, $20,000 in student loans, and no job. So, I understand the frustation you/your husband are going through just on a different end.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I used to be a recruiter for a large company, and yes, I have a degree (MBA and MA). Often times, companies will require degrees as a weeding out tool. They may not even require a degree in that particular field. To them, it is a sign that someone had initiative and drive to pursue and complete something. That, to them, is indicative of how they will perform for that company.
    Anonymous

• A degree often tells an employer that a candidate has the drive and commitment to complete not only short term projects but also long term projects to the end. Particularly where a student puts him/herself through school, the message to the employer is that this person has initiative, organiziation skills, time management skills, and perseverence. Additionally, there are now certifications and degrees for most fields that were previously apprenticeship-learning jobs, from construction to hotel management, so more and more employers in fields that didn't have an "educated" workforce are finding more and more applicants who have the extra training.

It's a tough job market right now. I'm so sorry your husband is having such a tough time. I hope only the best for you. Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have a B.S. in Business Administration. I live in a rural community and wasn't able to find a job anywhere because I didn't have experience. It was horrible. I feel like I wasted 4 years of my life.

Now I have a job working from home as a legal transcriptionist and I didn't have any experience except that I'm a very fast typist. It worked out in the end but it's still really frustrating since I'm paying $100 a month for something i'm not using and I still have like 15-20 years on it!
    Anonymous

• Yes I am getting my second and I am starting nursing school in the fall!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 6:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have heard that a Bachelor's is now the new HS diploma. There are a lot of people that have them now, so employers can require them. With all the people that are probably applying nowadays they can afford to be picky!

BUT have your husband apply anyway!!! My dad has a great job where a degree was required - and he doesn't have a degree. He just learned at home (computer stuff) and got some certifications and has a good "selling" personality so he got the job.
    Anonymous

• PS I have a degree and I feel it's basically worthless - couldn't get a job in 2+ years of looking. Experience and great preferably a great bubbly or "kiss-butt" personality are truly worth more when applying for a job.
    Anonymous

• I have one and found a 200k job last week. Totally worth the time and money to get the degree. I am willing to relocate and play the games it takes to find a job. Some are not and they remain unemployed. When you have a family to feed you do what you have to. My job is not my life it just pays for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I have a Business Marketing degree but I am a Sales Director with Mary Kay Cosmetics. It didn't require a degree and my parents thought I was throwing my degree away for awhile. Until they realized that it helps me run a business and I can make more money working for myself. When you own your business, you own your life.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 12:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2009