Why do "they" recommend you wait for 18-24 months at least before TTC after having a baby?

And further more, who are "they?!" What right is it of theirs to tell us how and when to have babies? Lol, sorry I'm in a weird mood and my baby is screaming beside me in that "Hey look I can pretend to cry and you'll come back over here!" kind of way. Anyway, why are you "supposed" to wait that long? Does it really make THAT MUCH of a difference as far as your body is concerned, unless you had a c-section? I mean, pregnancy is stressful no matter how far apart they are.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• btw, I got preg. when my baby was 6 mo. old & no, I dont have a "big wide butt" & no pelvic tone! Ever heard of Kegals?
    Anonymous

• So your body has time to replenish all the nutrients that get stripped from you during your pregnancy. It is really hard on your muscles and bones.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I hadn't heard you were supposed to wait 18-24 months to try and have another one. I had heard you should space the kids 18-24 months, so you're actually only waiting 6-12 months to try and conceive again. I agree with the previous poster-- pregnancy is hard on your body, and hormones wreak havoc. I certainly hope the "they" you are referring to are doctors, and I imagine that such a recommendation is based on some degree of medical research. However, if you don't want to wait, then don't.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh and I'm not talking about like having a baby then getting pregnant again immediately after ( like within the first few months). I know plenty of people that have kids 18 months apart, 16 months apart, 11 months, 13 months, etc. and they and their babies are just fine and were fine when they were born. So would it really be that bad to get pregnant like a year after you have your first baby?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The first poster had it right, pregnancy really does a number on your body and the suggested time frame is to help your body heal and recover to give you the best chance of a very healthy pregnancy next time.
    Anonymous

• Busimommi: I had heard that, too, but what I've been reading lately has said to wait 18-24 months after having a successful pregnancy and healthy baby to TTC again, which really threw me off. I'm not saying that I necessarily even want to have more children, I just wondered about that specifically. I can't imagine having another one within like 12 months of having my daughter or something (which isn't possible now, because I was like one month pregnant this time last year).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've actually been told it's about two years and beyond that your body needs to heal from a baby. Also, I've been told that if your kids are back to back, then there will be more competition and jealousy between them. I'm not saying this is true, but in most cases I've seen that it is. At least when the kids are young and they all want attention and need help doing everything. I would believe a doctor when "they" tell me I should wait. They know more than I do. Well, about some things.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I never said it was a doctor who said it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Um, so your body has time to heal and get back to the way it was before your baby. You're going to get all messed up if you have 2 right in a row. Think big wide butt and no tone on your pelvic floor.
    Anonymous

• My dr. told me after 3 mo. we could start trying again. He gave me a 3 mon. script for BC pills then said after that we could "Go for it" if we were ready.
    Anonymous