pelvic checks during labor.....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is really necessary to check the cervix during CONTRACTIONS? They did this to me when I was in labor with my daughter . It was very painful ,actually the only pain next to the episiotomy being stiched up. my husband and sister asked them if they could wait until I was through the contractions. Their response was we have to do it while she is in a contraction. ( most of this ws by 3rd stage labor)

hypersquirrel

Asked by hypersquirrel at 4:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It has been 4 1/2 years since I have given birth and I still remember the pain from them checking my cervix. I could handle the contractions just fine but that is a pain I will NEVER forget.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I will never forget that pain, as well as the pain from the nurse inserting the catheter wrong. Uhhh....
    Anonymous

• Oh man! I'm having my first and NOW I'm scared!!! Is it really that bad??? =S
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on your dr. I wasn't checked during contractions with any of mine. I know that nobody checked me at all with my third. The nurse came in to put the cathiter in and I was already delivering, no dr at all for the delivery of my son.
    Anonymous

• Tell them no. It's not necessary at all, just their preference. Sometimes you will dilate more or they can force open your cervix during a contraction. Bu tultimately you have to agree to it, and if you are having one just say no, what are they going to do? Send you home?
    Anonymous

• No there is no need for them, you don't even need the checks..your body will let you know when its time to push.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You don't need ANY vaginal exams, period. Your body will tell you when it is time to push. Your body doesn't have a measuring tape. It opens as much as it needs to before telling you it is time to push
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009