If you were once a believer what happened to change your mind?

If you once believed in God,Jesus,and the devil.What major event in your life changed your mind?(Assuming a major event changed your mind.)Please be honest and civil with answer.If you didn't have anything big or dramatic happen please still feel free to answer. :)

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nothing happened to change my mind per say. I just "grew" to a different understanding of things. Kind of like a child that "outgrows" Santa. Most don't have some startling revelation that Santa doesn't exist like seeing their dad take the costume off. Most just sort of come to terms of understanding that there is no Santa.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I was only a "believer" until I was about 6... What changed? I learned there was an option not to believe in everything your parents tell you and learned there were other options...

In short I out grew Christianity and started to think for myself...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I began studying history beyond what was covered in the textbooks at school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my mom's death. How could GOD take my mom when she was shopping with three young children. Leaving them alone in a store while she died in front of them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I can't say I was ever a 'believer.' I was raised nominally Christian, but I never thought of God as a personified deity. Even as a child I remember having a lot of questions about that and not having it ring true to me. I remember as a child telling someone that I thought God was like a giant fire and we were all the sparks. As I got older I got more knowledge about other faiths and found that the dharmic religions were similar in their way of envisioning the divine... ultimately after a lot of thought and a major bout of PPD I decided to try embracing Buddhist practice- I figured I was at a low point and something had to change and that something would probably have to be my way of relating to my situation. I am much happier and more peaceful practicing Buddhism. I still have a lot of respect for many Christian teachings, but don't (and probably never did) meet the 'entrance criteria' for Christiany.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• While I enjoyed going to some services and singing songs; I never truly felt like I was getting the whole truth. It never made me feel whole. And I didn't really believe everything that was said/read. But, I will also have to say a big part of my questioning did come from the fact I grew up poor and had an abusive stepfather and was sexually abused by 2 different step-family members also. I questioned a god that would let that happen. I questioned a faith that told my mother to stay with her abuser b/c divorce is "wrong". I questioned why my prayers weren't answered when I would calling on god as i was left broken and bleeding. Then I got angry. Then I quit expecting god to help me and helped myself. I worked to heal my emotional scars by learning about other religions and making my own decisions about my creator and my past. I decided what was my idea of a sin and what wasn't. I decided what I would become from all of that.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I never "fit" in with Christianity. I had an empty heart and none of the beliefs connected to my soul. My Great Grandmother was Native American and she nurtured the side of me that connected to Mother Earth. After I was old enough to make my own decisions I left the church in search of a name for who I am. I found the name Pagan and I found a home for my heart and soul.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• God stopped answering prayers, my boys were kicked out of every church we tried to attend, my husband lost his job and we almost lost our home. I figured if god wasn't going to care for us I would stop caring for him. Of course I am not angry or bitter anymore. It doesn't make sense to stay mad at something that doesn't exist. We managed to get things taken care of on our own. It's been that way ever since.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I do believe. But I also learned that my beliefs are simply that.. my beliefs. I have met lots of people in my life who believe in different things. When I talk with them, their beliefs also make sense.. My point... One never knows if what they believe in is truly correct anyway.. So, if your beliefs help get you thru life, so be it. I don't judge, I don't push my beliefs. I am open to all beliefs and I welcome new ideas.
    Anonymous

• 1 major event did not change my views about life. I was raised Baptist and believed everything Baptist. My parents were devout ( or quite extreme in their views) but even with my questions about lots of issues ( I never questioned that there is a God though), I believed Christian beliefs until I was between 10-12. I went to college when I was 17 and took a history class and the teacher taught a little about the many many religions of our world and it was a huge confirmation that there is absolutely no way God only accepts people from ONE religion. It showed me that it is quite absurd of Christians to believe God only saves them. I believe Jesus did exist but not an incarnation of God. I now know God is perfect and his being perfect means the devil does not exist and that no religion is actually the answer, it is all speculation from man. Our existence is WAY to complex for anyone to understand.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009