any tips for changing to a big boy bed when DS is a wiggle worm when he sleeps?

My son 20 mo. has his own room now and I really want to put him in a big boy bed but am afraid he will hurt himself if he wakes up from moving or falling off the bed and getting into stuff without supervision. I was told to just use the mattress on the floor at first and see which way he tends to roll. Also thought about the bed safety rails but I feel like if he wakes up he's going to get out of bed anyways so what't the point...

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he gets up at least he wakes up safely the rails are there to protect him from falling.

If he gets up now that is a whole different story. Next question would be How do I keep my son in his room while he sleeps?...

About the mattress thing that is a good idea but will you have one on each side?
    Try putting pillows on the sides it is not like he is going to fall too far down. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Hi
    my two year old son has been in a toddler bed since he was 15 months bc he was a climber and would get out of the crib. he fell out of the bed a few times and he is a roller too. But after a couple of times he doesnt do it anymore. I would also say put a baby gate up in front of his door in case he does get out of bed he can't get out of his room. This is what I do for my son, but now he has learned how to climb that too.
    landonsmommy887

Answer by landonsmommy887 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• keep the matress on the floor till he is less of a wiggle worm. Push it into a corner so that there are less sides tofall off. not as cute looking as putting it on a cute new bed frame, but safer and and easier transition.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My AAP baby book says one of the signs a child is ready for a big bed is NOT wiggling around. So even though YOU want him in a bed, he probably still needs to be in a crib.
    Otherwise, put the mattress on the floor so he won't fall too far.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• As long as he fits in his crib and is sleeping fine you can leave him in it up to age 4. I'd hold off a little longer if you can.
    My boys are 27 mos. I'd really prefer to leave them in their cribs until they're 3 in the fall but we travel a lot and they don't fit in their pack n plays anymore so we need to get them used to beds soon.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009