What do i do to help my kindergartener behave in school?

He doesnt listen to the teacher, he talks back, wanders around, doesnt do his work, argumentive, disrespectful, wild and out of control. He doesnt act like that at home and he listens i tried punishment i tried time out i tried bring school home for the night no tv no fun talking even a litle bribing ive been explaing why its important but im all out of ideas. What should i do?

renita09

Asked by renita09 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use a behavior chart each day. I have the chart divided up into 7 boxes (we go all day), and I give a sticker for each hour that the behavior was acceptable. I send it home and the parents are to sign it and send it back. You could provide a reward after 3 good days. For me, if the child earns 5 out of 7 stickers it was a good day. I don't expect perfection or little robots,but I expect the things you mentioned most of the time. (Heck, we all have bad days.) Many students respond well, but you do get the occasional child who does not care about the chart. You need clear consequences for poor behavior days (no tv, not dessert, go to room....whatever you feel is appropriate). Rewards don't have to be bought---a trip to the library, park, staying up 15 min late....that kind of thing. It works best when the parents and teacher are in agreement and work together. Good luck!  Suggest this to the teacher.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh---one more thing---it has to be used daily---expect it to be brought home every day unless the teacher is absent. Ask for it, call the school if you don't get it. Consistent and clear consequences are needed!!!  Allow your child to list consequences and rewards too.  It makes the set up more valuable to him or her.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I use a chart at my home as well. For every good day my son has at school he gets a star on his chart and 10 minutes of video game time. He loves being able to play video games. When he collects 10 stars he receives a prize. The prize is whatever you want it to be, a trip for icecream, a movie... I do not start him over if he has a bad day because we all have bad days sometimes. He just will not receive a star or minutes for his games. It makes him work harder the following day.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 11:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I agree with taking the positive approach. Remember, at first the teacher needs to "Catch him being good" and reward him frequently until he buys into the program. He may need to get the big payoff (big prize) quicker than 3 days the first time. He needs to be successful to realize what that gets him. And he needs to hear the positive praise three times more than he hears the negative remarks about his behavior. I go into classrooms to help teachers with behaviors and I often observe the child with the behaviors having a terrific day and not one positive comment is spoken to him about his behavior! Like the first post says, rewards don't always come in a prize box. He might enjoy getting to do a special job when he gets all his stickers. The reward has to be highly motivating! Also, after a time, the reward from last week may loose it power and a new reward is needed. Once he get rewards they cannot be taken away!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Also, I know that teachers sometimes don't want to do something different for one than the rest of the group. She can place his sticker chart somewhere out of the way, but still where he can see it so that he can monitor his progress. The reward can be given quietly while the rest of the class is engaged in an activity.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I would absolutely use postive reinforcement (reward charts for good behavior). Your son sounds a lot like my daughter at that age - totally bored with school. There is a chance that he is academically talented, and is not getting enough intellectual stimulation at school. You can get infomation here: www.ctd.northwestern.edu. You can help at home with lots of reading and talking about school and the world. Depending on where you live, there may be options through your local school system.

Robin in Chicago

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When is his birthday? Maybe he wasn't quite ready for kinder yet. The kinder curriculum is so different these days and a lot is expected of them. At home, he can run and play and doesn't have the expectation of sitting still so much so he can behave better.
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 9:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2009