my almost 3 yr. old keeps putting his hands in his mouth how can i get him to stop??

rosepetalluv

Asked by rosepetalluv at 5:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every time he puts his hand in his mouth pull it out, look him square in the face and say, "please do not put your hand in your mouth." When my son started to pick his nose, everytime he tried we would pull his hand away and say "NO, go get a tissue". After a while, he got the hang of it. It took a bit. but just be consitant. Its more likely something that he doesn't really think about, so consistanly bringing it to his attention and physcally bringing his hand away will help him stop.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• good luck. I can't keep my daughters fingers out of her mouth and I've tried acibar (tastes and smells awful), hot sauce (she liked it), constant prompting (becomes a control/indep. issue etc.)
    Its worse than a paci. So I've backed off a bit, I don't think she does it at school and I have rules at home (you can't play on the computer if your fingers are in your mouth) and I try to get her doing as many things as I can that need 2 hands and stop harping on it so much so that its not so much a control thing and hope she outgrows it.
    She told me that she would stop when she was 6 LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009