My 13 month old

My daughter is 13 months old. She is smart... you can tell that just by the way she acts. But she isn't walking yet (she will cruise along furniture) and she only says a few things... Mama, Dada, This, That, Mmm, and then every once in awhile she pops out some random word that we won't hear again forever, but it's clear as day... does this sound normal?? I ask because she is reaching milestones way later than my 3 year old did, and it kind of worries me :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every child is different my dd is almost 13 months and she only takes a few steps here and there and she talks when she feels like it and is also smart as heck but i wouldn't worry just cuz ur one child did it at a certain time doesn't mean this one will
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• every child is different. My son was walking at 8 months. Did all the physical stuff early, but he still hasn't said a single word. and he is 16 months
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 5:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes. Every child is different. You need to relax and let her develop at her own pace. DO NOT compare a child to someone else, especially a sibling.. that can lead to some real resentment later on and never label a child. That hurts.
    Anonymous

• It's all good! Your baby is smart and she will walk when she wants to Mom! ;) If she's cruising around furniture she obviously showing signs that she will be walking soon. Don't pressure her, she'll get there. I know you're anxious for her milestone to happen but remember what happens after they do, they get into everything and put it out in the middle of the floor.LOL
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If the pediatrician isn't worried then you shouldn't worry. Some kids walk later than others, some talk later than others, some do both later and there's not a thing wrong with them.
    Hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 14 months and is the same way. She uses furniture to walk around and evernow and again in the middle of the floor she will straighten her legs and arms and have her head down kinda looks like the "downward facing dog" in yoga. so i think that is a sign of trying to stand with out support. and she is also very verbal... she will walk when she is good and ready. don't worry. then you will wish she doesn't...lol
    proudmommyto121

Answer by proudmommyto121 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• one day i took my son to target and repeated "belly" like 50 times in a minute, while poking every time i said it. now he kinda says it and points when i ask where it is. are you reading? that will improve vocabulary. my son didnt say too much at 13 months either. furniture cruising is perfectly nomal and one day they just stop doing it. mine didnt even do that it was straight from military crawling to full on walking, we skipped regular crawling too for some reason.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009