Would you quit taking your daughter to the gym if she starting acting like the other brats in there?

My daughter goes in to the gym an angel and comes out a devil! There are some kids in there that really act out and I know she is picking up things from them. Would you quit taking her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, but it wouldn't be because of them. I would be teaching my child that she isn't allowed to behave like that at all.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Nope. Its a perfect opportunity to teach them that their behavior does not need to be influenced by others. Discipline her there at the gym. Rules at home should be rules there. If you do timeouts, find a place to do time outs, if you spank, take her into the restroom. IF she goes to school and starts acting like the brats there, are you going to pull her out? She needs to learn to control her actions and emotions when she is around her peers. That way when she is older she is more likely to make mature decisions vrs falling to peer pressure. But that self discipline starts with you teaching her it now at a young age.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Are you sure there isn't some mom out there referring to your child as a brat at the gym as well?
    Anonymous

• well your daughter should know better... from your parenting.

if she likes to go to the gym, then there is no reason to make her quit it. teach her good behavior and manners. make sure she understands how bad of an example those other kids are.

even though i doubt that YOUR child is the ONLY angel in there ;))
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Honestly at this age all children will watch other kids behavior and test boundaries them selves. It's how they learn at this age. don't listen to the boneheads saying it's your fault it's normal. You do now have to set more boundaries though and let her know this is not acceptable behavior and will not be tolerated by you. She is your child and has her rules and will not act the way other kids. I think you should take her it will be a great learning experience for the both of you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Is this like a child care center at the gym? I wonder if these kids are acting out because of poor supervision (when the cats away the mice will play sort of thing). Sense this is the 3-4 year old question section I'm going to guess that the kids are in some sort of a child care area where someone is supposed to be watching them, and if this someone is letting all types of behavior run amok, I would look for a better child care option for that hour.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There's a corner in every building. My son has found them in the grocery store, airport, Zoo, everywhere he has been to more then once, he knows where time-out is. Decipline don't stop because your out of the house. She knows how to behave so show her it's not accepted anywhere, even when others are misbehaving.
    Sillymommy8405

Answer by Sillymommy8405 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Kids at this age act out. It's not because of the other "brats" in the daycare. This is how preschoolers interact with each other, so they probably *all* go in like angels and every mom working out wants to know why her kid is suddenly a terror when she's done working out. Just reinforce your rules, but kids this age, when lumped together, are going to work things out the way kids do. It's probably a little stressful on her, so she might have more of a temper when you're ready to go home, but she'd be the same way anywhere else with any group of kids.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009