oatmeal

ive been feeding my son rice cereal for over a month now and hes starting to not enjoy it. can i give him single grain oatmeal yet??? hes 4 months now.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 5:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ummm. I wouldnt just because I got to start my DS on rice cereal early but was told strickly rice cereal til 6 months and then oatmeal. Do you fix it with his milk? If you do that could be the problem have you tasted it? it has no taste lol. I would try mixing it with juice or even buying stage 1 babyfood fruit and mix it that way. I mixed mine with juice and he loved it and liked it so much better once I did. My son did the same thing and thats how I fixed it for him. But if your not comfortable doing it thats fine it's your baby do what sounds best for you.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't mix it with juice. Giving juice to babies daily can cause malnutrition and eventually tooth decay, and juice is really nutritionally unnecessary. As is rice cereal, at this age. Many doctors recommend not starting solids until six months, so if your baby doesn't seem to want rice cereal, I would hold off and go with just breastmilk/formula for awhile.
    Mergath

Answer by Mergath at 5:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You can move on to other solids at any time you wish, as long as they have the 3-5 day trial for each new ingredient.

I'm sure you're not using milk (since they're not supposed to have that until a year)...but they tend to like it better if it's mixed with formula or breastmilk instead of water.

Another idea is to mix it with baby food. (we did that with ours, but they were 5 months)

Or...just move on to baby foods if you wish.

Ideally, it is recommended that solids not be started until 4-6 months. I'm sure you have your reasons for starting early..and that is fine. Your choice. You can move on when you feel is the right time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009