this may sound dumb

my dd has been pulling on her right ear the past few days she is teething and had a slight temp today 99.7 and is kinda fussy and not napping as well. could her ear be bugging her because she is teething?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think ear ache's are usually caused when they aren't sitting at an inclined position while drinking.
    Anonymous

• like you mean if she is sitting straight up and down aka in her high chair before dinner?
    Anonymous

• She may have an ear infection? I know that the signs for ear infections are the fussiness, and tugging on the ear, fever... etc. Maybe call and speak to your nurse?

Anonymous

• Their is nothing stated about eating and drinking in this question??? Where are you learning how to read?
    Anonymous

• that was me the OP i was asking if the first poster meant her ear could hurt from sitting straight up in her high chair and drinking a bottle.
    Anonymous

• 99.7 isn't really a fever. It's the high end of normal.

Fussy and playing with the ear might be the sign of an ear infection. Does she have a cold or at least congestion? If so...it's worth getting her ear checked out. Better safe than sorry.

As for the drinking in an inclined position from the first anon....if babies drink lying down flat, it's sometimes thought it can lead to an ear ache.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• sounds more like an ear infection... either that or teething. might want to check with the pediatrician though... ear infections can be really terrible for the little ones. my brother had them ALL the time when he was a toddler.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Sounds normal for teething. All four of my kids did the same, except that their temps are usually around 101 when their teeth were/are comming in. And all of them would tug at their ears. Out of all four kids only one has ever had an ear infection.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would say probably teething but it doesn't hurt to call your doc office and run it by one of the nurses... If nothing else for piece of mind!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ear aches are very common with teething, they drool when they teeth which allows the drool in the ear I would go to the doc asap ear aches can be very serious. They can cause hearing loss and brain probs. So the doc is the safest bet. ER if need be. How ever another thing that can cause ear aches is giving the baby a bottles with any thing other than water while laying down.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009