Anyone have a dog like this?

I have a pug and he will be 1 year old in September. He still isn't even remotely close to being potty trained. I have been trying everything, I take him out every 30 minutes, and I have also been putting him in the crate to try and make things better. But he constantly pees and poo's in my house. Just the other day I took him outside he ran upstairs and crapped on my fricken bed.
He also doesn't listen for crap. He never comes to me when I call him, instead he just continues on behaving badly. Are all pugs like this? I am pregnant, and I am losing my marbles with this damn dog. I have never been through this befor. Any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• we crated ares and monitored all food and water intake after awhile he started to tell us when he needed to go out dont give up yet they are wonderfull dogs to have
    fristine

Answer by fristine at 6:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Do you feed on a schedule? That is one good way to know when they need to go poop. My Boxer goes about 10 minutes of mealtimes and I feed twice a day. When he was a pup and I knew he needed to pee and poop, I would walk him until he did both. If he did not do both, he did not get free access of the house, he either was in his crate or gated into the kitchen/laundry area. If he was "empty" (gone pee and poo), then and only then was he allowed to run around the house. I took him out after drinking, eating, playing, and sleeping and was very diligent all the time so I set him up for success. It sounds like your pup is just not getting the clue so treat him like he is a baby puppy of 2 months old and monitor him closely and confine him when you can't be watching him or know he has not gone potty. It is frustrating, some dogs are harder to train than others, and can take a couple of years before they "get it".
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ditto to above answers. Don't free feed your dog.
    I have owned pugs before, and all of mine were housebroken before 6 months old. They are hyper dogs, but mine listened very well. You have to be patient with them when you are trying to teach them new things (they don't catch on quickly).
    Hope this was helpful.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. I do feed him on a schedule. It just is getting very frustrating on me right now. He is a very stubborn boy! I actually thought that pugs were mellow dogs, but mine is extremely hyper as well... and not the best listener! But thank you all very much!

Anonymous

• It sounds like you should just start over with house training him. You need to keep him in whatever room you are in and some people even keep them on a leash inside the house and attach the leash to their belt loop. Then you will learn his signals when he starts to need to use the bathroom. Also have a super yummy treat that you only use when he potties outside. As soon as he potties, give him the treat and act like he is the best thing in the world. Take him out immediately after eating, after sleeping, and after play sessions. Since he has been going in your house this long, I would recommend buying Nature's Miracle or a similar cleaner that kills the smell of the urine and poop. He may just be going inside because he can smell that he's gone there before. Just because you can't smell it, doesn't mean that he can't. Is he going in the crate, too? If so, then the crate may be too big. Try partitioning it off so he
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• only has enough room to lay down. Also try feeding him in the crate. Dogs typically don't like to eat where they potty. As far as his misbehaving, I would recommend taking a training class that uses positive methods. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I second what Christina (above) said. for the super yummy treat, use a slice of cheese. Dogs LOVE cheese. "Wear the dog" that is keep him attached to you by his leash every moment he is not in the crate. I would only use the crate for naps and at night. Be sure to take him outside IMMEDIATELY when you get him out of the crate! Do not stop to grab a cup of coffee on the way out or anything. He is still young enough to learn this quickly.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009