Do you teach your baby ASL/baby sign?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I want to, but I haven't yet. I should start now. I just don't know very many to teach him!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, we taught ASL to all three of them.

Just so you're aware, Baby Sign is NOT the same as ASL.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• we didnt teach our DD either one.

i had no problems understanding what my little girl wanted or trying to say.. now she is almost 2 and i understand everything she says, even though she doesnt say it perfect.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• that's great m.robert.
    but there are great benefits to using ASL/baby sign besides better communication
    Chidlren who are taught ASL learn the basics of a second langauge. Also, children who learn ASL/baby sign learn how to write and read sooner then those who dont. As well as other advantages too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There are many other benefits to a baby learning ASL. It is not taught because a parent "can't" understand what they are trying to communicate, it is taught to give them the means to communicate on their own, to express their desires and not have to wait for a parent to guess what they mean. It provides them a means of independence.

There's nothing wrong with not teaching ASL, however....the attitude implying that those of us who do choose to provide another means of communication for our children can't or don't understand what our children are "saying"....that is unwanted, not needed and I for one am tired of reading it every time a signing question comes up.

I'm glad m.robertson is so perfect. I guess the rest of us can only strive to be like her some day.
    Anonymous

• I taught my daughter some ASL signs. Like mrobertson, I could understand everything my daughter said early on even though it was very imperfect pronunciation. But as she passed 2 years and started speaking in long phrases, sentences, gaining dozens of new words everyday, and the way she said words began changing almost daily as she learned to make more sounds - it became harder and harder to understand her. I was always playing catch-up as I frantically updated the "toddler-to-english" dictonary in my head. Sign language helped avert many tantrums and much frustration. Even at 30 months, she would still sometimes revert to a sign if I was being especially dense at understanding her.
    If I had another baby, I'd teach her ASL in a heart beat too. VERY helpful.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We taught our kids 3 simple signs at a young age, "more" "please" and "thank you". Now my husband is taking ASL at his college and is teaching it to the kids (now ages 6 and 2). Our 2 year old is picking it up rather quickly, and uses it a lot too. It's really cute seeing him sign :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i teach baby sign language, the ASL form, its learning another language so they can be bilingual. my first is 4 and she still uses it to help me with little sister who is 9 months old tomorrow. it is absolutly wonderful! Especially when they get to the frustrating toddler years!
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We started teaching our son just a few signs, and we add more periodically. He seems to like some flash cards we found and the Baby Einstein "My First Signs" DVD...although we've only watched the DVD a few times so far. When we get the flash cards out, he comes crawling over and pulls himself up on the ottoman to see the pictures better. It's cute that he likes them so much! I'm hoping it will ease some frustrations he may have as he starts to understand more without being able to talk yet. It seems like it will be helpful. It's good to start with a little at a time and stop when they don't seem interested anymore. I like to work doing signs in while I'm talking to him throughout the day too....meals, bathtime, bedtime, etc. The cards and DVDs are really helping me learn them in order to teach him. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I highly recommend it. I used it for my daycare babies. The ones the weren't talking to me before we started, were talking to me after. It helps with reading because they associate hand movements with words, like letters with words. Wonderful thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009