How do I explain this to my 2 1/2 year old son?

My son is always asking questions like "Why are those flowers white?" or "Why are you a girl, Mommy?" so I am always saying to him "I'm not sure, God must've liked those flowers that color." or "Because God decided to make Mommy a girl, that's why." Well, yesterday my son asked me why one of his cups was blue instead of orange and I said "I'm not sure, baby, someone just decided to make it that color." and his reply was "Well, God must've wanted it to be blue." Which isn't 100% incorrect, since God foresees all and I'm sure that He must've wanted that cup to be blue or whatever factory was distributing them would have made them a different color, lol, but in a smaller sense I'm having a hard time coming up with a concept to explain the difference between things that are man-made and things that are from God that my son could understand. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would explain like this. God made boys in his image.Then he made girls to be companions for the boys.(or helpers.)As it says it the first commandment. Then I would say God made all the colors in the world that can be chosen from. The person who made these cups decided it was best to color them blue,red,yellow,and so on.God gives us all special talents and paths to follow. The man who made this had a talent for making toys.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There is a book,I want to say"God had a paintbrush" but I am not sure but it talks about all of that without really zoning in any real belief system other than a belief in God.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 6:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thank you, I'll have to see if I can google it and find it on Amazon.com or something.
    Anonymous

• I like the talent part. Another great suggestion. Thank you.
    Anonymous

• apart from 'God must have wanted things this way or that way'..there are tangible, valid, dare i say...scientific reasons some flowers are white, or chemical reasons as to how some products become certain colors. its not taking God out of the quotient, its telling the truth as to how things are made...flora/fauna/photoscentheses (i know i flubbed the spelling!), chemical reactions..next time he asks his simple questions (because that's really all one as young as he is asking...i'm sure he's not ready for theology at 2 1/2) and you don't know the answer, google it. there's plenty of answers on the internet...and when he's old enough to continue his questions deeper, perhaps you'll feel better about answering them through the God-creation vein. i'm not bashing..God created all! but He also gave us brains to reason with, to study plant life, etc.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh, I get what you're saying completely. If my son asks something like "Why are flowers pretty colors?" then I wouldn't use the same reasoning. I'd tell him what I know; that flowers are colorful so bees and other insects will notice them and can pollinate them and spread seeds and all that good stuff. But for things like "Why is this particular flower white?" Well, honestly, I don't know why that one is white and the other is blue, lol, but I do know God wanted it that way and my son loves learning about how God created all the people, plants, and animals on Earth, so usually that's my answer for those kinds of questions. I know what you're saying though.
    Anonymous

• You know, people are made in God's image. It is such a wonderful thing that God created us to be creative and have wonderful imaginations. So, people create all kinds of different things - including blue and orange cups, and vases for those pretty flowers. We create because God loves us and gave us the ability to do so. Such sweet questions your kiddos are asking.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 11:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• God made boys in his image.

Actually, female is nature's 'default' sex. All bodies start out with a female frame and the sex gene forms the sexual organs later on in the process. But we all start out female...that's why males have nipples. This is scientific fact. As for colors in nature, everything in nature has a purpose...if that flower is white, then there is a reason it's white and some simple searching in a science book, (not a Bible), can tell you what that reason is. You are shortchanging your son's education by using this 'cause God said so, made it so, wanted it so' cop-out. If you must throw God into it, fine...but please at least do it in the same breath as an actual, scientific explanation.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 1:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Everything in nature has a purpose BECAUSE God gave it a purpose. So I do not feel that explanation is short-changing my son at all, only helping him to better understand OUR purpose here on Earth in serving God as well. For every "scientific fact" that is out there, there is another unexplanable phenomenon, so to say that you can base everything on science, when half of it is hypothesis or theory anyway, is just as ignorant as you seem to believe my explanation to be, though I obviously do not share in your opinion at all.
    Anonymous

• so to say that you can base everything on science, when half of it is hypothesis or theory anyway, is just as ignorant as you seem to believe my explanation to be,

Speaking of ignorance, you show yours when you spout things like this. 'Half' of science isn't just a 'good guess' nor does the word 'theory' mean 'I'm just making a good guess' in the scientific community. Also, your son isn't asking what our purpose on earth is...he's asking why the flower is a certain color and I'm telling you there is a reason other than 'God's will' that it's a certain color. You don't have to accept facts, but you are not allowed to change them or discredit them when you are so clearly un-educated about them. You want God to be in there, fine...go for it...but don't use God as a cop-out when there is a clear, tangible, PROVEN, scientific reason for things. And don't dismiss science just because it doesn't mesh with your God.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009