Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When a couple are contemplating divorce how are the finances figured out?

We make about the same amount of money a year, we have a mortgage, car payments, credit cards, = we have our own pensions, he has several whole life insurance policies that were to be used for retirement and he has a 401 K.....would I be entitled to half of his 401k to help pay for his portion of the equity in our home??

So confused and afraid

Answer Question

Asked by Confused1246 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Hire a lawyer.

    Answer by phazed.0ut at 4:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

  • You are right....I guess I have been dragging my feet because I feel that this confirms that I failed .

    Answer by Confused1246 at 4:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

  • At least see a mediator. You need to work out a property settlement.

    Answer by supershlea at 7:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

  • hire a lawyer -- it'll take a lot of the stress off of you. but yes, EVERYthing gets split, debt, profit, 401K, etc.

    Answer by retz at 11:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.