What to do about others' bad kids.

What am I to do. How do you handle your child's bold face peers, either the ones at school or the ones involved in extra curricular activities? I'm tire of the bullying, lieing, teasing, filthy mouths, rude comments, lack of respect. And no one really seems to be doing anything about it. I called someone on a particular today and the parents didn't seem to please with me, and know I'm wondering what the repercussions for my child will be. Why are kids so BAD these days and how do we cope with it?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• There isn't anything you can do. Unless someone's child has actually harmed your child, there's just nothing. Don't you know why? Watch the parents. It becomes clear very quickly that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. These kids have been taught to behave a certain way. You will never convince them their little darling is a bully, or a liar, or teases in a mean way, or cheating, or being disrespectful, or talking filthy. You can only teach your own child how to handle these situations with grace and dignity.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• These types of kids are going to be everywhere. No need for you to reprimand everyone elses kids......there won't be any follow-thru at home. You should only talk with your kids about what you expect from them and how they should behave at home and in public.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Many people believe their child can do no wrong. While it is very frustrating for parents who teach their children manners and to be respectful of others feeling, there is really nothing you can do to stop them. It no longer "takes a village to raise a child". I never think twice about calling out another childs bad behavior. They, and the parents need to know that their actions are affecting those around them. It may not do any good but, at least they know where I stand and they will not get away with showing disrespect to my children, myself or anyone else. If the parents choose to do nothing to correct the child, it will only hurt their child in the long run.
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 6:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm sick of these type of kids too. My 5 yr old son gets stuck sitting with these kids in class. Yeah, his teacher actually told me "i put my problem kids next to him" so they will be like my son. I should of said "move my child away from them".
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If I know that parents or kids, I will say something to the kids. My sons friends and their parents know that if the kids are at my house or with me and they do something they shouldn't I will take care of it. One friend in particular gave me permission to correct him anytime and she does the same with my son. I am her eyes and ears when she isn't around and vice versa. Sometimes parents are oblivious to how their children act and some just don't care.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have these issues with classmates at well, I let my daughter no that it is going to be part of life, she n eeds to decide how she wants to handle it. Be the bigger person and be true to your self. They make it so hard for kids just to be kids these days.
    cole2823

Answer by cole2823 at 6:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son has a child at his daycare. He has been told over and over not to play with this child. However, he still does. I have told him why but my son is one of those kids that plays with everyone. he even praises this child when he does good things. I just keep an eye on him and when they go on the bus the driver as per my instructions doesn't allow them to sit together. I just correct my son and that is all you can do.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't know what to say. I started to homeschool my 6th grader because of what you just explained. While I understand that there will always be kids like this, My son who is sweet and guilable will just have to wait another 3 years to be exposed to them. By then he will probably be about 6'3" and no one will pick on him for his polite ways.
    If your son is in an activity maybe you could volunteer to be the coach or leader. So you can set the rules. Many kids try to be the adult in the family , I know my teen daughter tries. It is up to the parents to set the rules, expectations. Unfortunately too many want to be friends with their kids.Giving them every violent video game, Watch rated R movies and TV shows like Ultimate fighting. Then wonder why they cannot control them. Other parents are too busy drinking, doing drugs and living their own pathetic lifestyle to care. All you can do is set your own expectations, consequences.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 5:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Are these kids picking on your child directly? I would try to teach my child how to handle it when kids are mean or rude. I have a 19 year old and an 11 year old and I can honestly say I have never confronted a parent about their child's behavior. Actually, I don't come across too many really nasty bad kids. They aren't perfect, but they are just kids. They make mistakes...they sometimes do the wrong things. I am wondering what kind of behavior is happening that you feel the need to talk to the parents about so frequently. Sometimes it is best to overlook things unless they are really harmful. You can always use experiences as teaching opportunities for your own child...that is really your job anyway. You can' t necessarily do anything about other people's kids. You are responsible for your own kids. Teach them how to handle reality. When you go around confronting other kids and their parents, there is a backlash. Not worth it
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:20 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yesterday the father of the other child cornered my child and told my child that he was in the wrong? and that it was his other childs toy and that nothing should have been said about it. Unfortunately my husband and I were near by, but not close enough to see this happening, it happened so fast. Today niether of the other child's parents talked to me, go figure? I am so sick and tired of dealing with these types of kids and like one said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and I too have considered homeschool, but not sure if I could actually do it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009