Am I feeding him 2 much like WIC suggested?

My son just turned 4 months on the 10th. According to WIC I feed him too much. I give him 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours. He weighs 14-15lbs. They wanted me to start feeding him 3-4 ounces every 3 hours instead. They dont know I already started him on rice cereal and baby food. He has had rice cereal in his bottles since he was 4 days old, drs orders for refulx. So now he gets his 5-6oz every 3-4 hours and every other day he gets a half of a jar of baby food w/ some cereal in a bowl. Am I feeding him too much?

amygirl23

Asked by amygirl23 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is eating it and not throwing it up then its fine. My baby is barely going to turn 3 months on the 18th and he is eating 4-6 oz. every 3-4hours. If a baby is hungry, you can't limit their food...they will cry cause of hunger. Feed your baby until he/she is full. That is what my doctor told me to do and he told me that there is no limit on how much a baby should eat as long as they are happy and full.
    Anonymous

• Dont let wic tell you what to do there just trying to tell you how to Raise your kid
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think that's a lot for that age, but who am I to say?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Each child is different. I think that seems about what we were doing by 4 months. I have a little chunker, but now that she is older (13 months), she is thinning out a bit. When he starts crawling and trying to walk, he won't be gaining as much and he may not be eating as much strictly because it is boring for him when he could be spending that time exploring the house. He will let you know if he gets too much. If you aren't "forcing" that much into him, he should be fine.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would keep doing exactly what you are doing...especially if you little guy has reflux. Messing with his feeding now could really screw him up. Now if he was overweight your Dr would have said something to you and made suggestions on how to appropriately adjust his feeding that would allow for his reflux.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 6:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I also wanted to say that all four of my kids started drinking from 6-8 oz in one sitting around 1 month. I tried 3-4 oz and that wasn't cutting it. Friends and relatives would just watch as the sucked it all down. They couldn't believe it. AND they never spit any of it up. They are all healthy and happy. Once they started growing they started thinning out. They are going to be tall for their age!
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 6:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• WIC doesnt know what they are talking about. They told my best friend that she is overweight. DUH! She's 8 months pregnant!! She is def not overweight. Her ob told her she is normal.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 7:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• any pediatrician will tell you DO NOT LISTEN to what WIC tells you. my dd was on wic and they hand me all upset and rush her to the er because her iron was low. come to find out it was not low at all and they dont know what they are talking about. they are not drs so they can not tell you what to do. just talk to your  pediatrician and believe what they say NOT WIC.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Listen politely to what they say while you're in the office, get your checks, walk out the door and forget what they say.

I mean...are you really willing to put a BABY on a DIET?

Feed on demand. If he's hungry, feed him.

WIC is NOT the authority on babies. WIC is not an authority on children or women for that matter. Listen to your baby, listen to your heart, pay attention to what your pediatrician tells you more than WIC.

They told me my (at the time ) 2 year old was going to have heart disease because I wouldn't switch him to 1% when his pediatrician wanted him on 2%.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh, and compared to what my boys ate at that age....he's barely eating. LOL (8oz every 2-3 hours for an average of 45-50oz per day)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009