Do you teach your baby ASL/baby sign?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes!! My son was a late talker. We started when he was around 15 months. We used Signing Time. He loved watching them and he caught on sooo quickly. He loved it. It helped so much to understand what he wanted. We still use basic signs even though he is talking he says the word and makes the sign too. Some of the signs have faded so I'm sure they all will soon. I highly recommend it!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I SURE DO, my little sister is hearing impaired, so teaching my daughter to communicate early helped my sister when she watched her, my daughter now knows how to tell everyone that she is Hungery, Thirsty, and most times what she exactly wants. i started to teach her at 5 months and she is now 23 months.
    blairsmommy

Answer by blairsmommy at 6:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I did with my now 5yo when he was younger because he was late at talking. We learned and taught him simple ones like eat, drink, play, etc.

We now watch Signing Time to learn signs just for fun though.
    momneedscoffee

Answer by momneedscoffee at 6:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i wish i knew it because i know it can be a big help in developing speach. but my daughter is still only 8 months and she makes so much noise that i dont think she will have any trouble talking. lol. i am a talker.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• we taught them a few general signs and they love to watch signing time on pbs. They are 3 &5 but they still use the signs for cookie, more and done.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009