What if I'm just not a big talker?

Everything I have read says that I should pretty much be talking constantly to my son. I've always been a very quiet person and I don't have the best communication skills. Should I be worried that he will have communication problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You'll learn. I'm not a big talker at all, and I've learned how to talk to my almost three month old daughter. It gets easier once they start cooing and stuff. Your conversations aren't so one-sided anymore :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Just start talking about anything. He'll get used to the cadence of the language and the words. Talk about how you are snapping his onsie, and how you are going to feed him after he is changed, and that that was a nice burp, and that you aren't sure yet what to have for lunch, and what would he like to do today. You can also tell him stories from books that you are reading to him or make up your own. And you can sing real songs or songs that you make up. Have fun. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You don't have to talk to him every single second that he's awake! He might enjoy a little quiet too. I'm a natually quiet person, and there are times when my baby (9 months) is playing on the kitchen floor and I'm doing the dishes, and we're not chatting with each other. It's nice because we can still enjoy each other's company without having to be chatting with each other all the time.

But, you can read the newspaper, sing songs (doesn't have to be all nursery rhymes!), read magazines, read the chinese take-out menu (lol), talk to her while you're changing a diaper or bathing her.
    Anonymous

• How old is your son? I never though I'd be the one to talk to mine. I'm a pretty quiet introverted person and I always said I would probably never sing or really talk to him but here I am now making up my own silly songs and talking to my son non-stop! It is akward at first, but once you get comfortable with your baby it's much easier. Just remember that they're never judging you, in fact they love it when they hear your voice!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i think anything you do for your child is great as far as talking.. their little brains are firing so fast that any words that they hear now, they will remember subconsiously later.. so if you are reading something that isnt filth read outloud to your child.. or start slow and play peekaboo.. anything to engage with your child.. just remember that your child has no voice.. so you must speak for them... especially when they are older... look at it this way.. what if there was a problem with a bully and you were the only voice your child had.. would you just sit by and let it happen? no, i didnt think so... I find that people who talk to their kids, make faces, share with them, have better out going kids.. i tell my son knock knock jokes.. he's 8 months, he doesnt understand, but he sure thinks im funny... try it..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I used to read my DD Reader's Digest lol Its just her and me, so when she was younger I didn't have a whole lot to say lol I'm sure she heard me when I was on the phone--so even if you're just paying bills over the telephone, do it when the LO is awake and aware and can hear you. When you're reading a book, read a few sentences here and there out loud.

Soon enough the LO will talk, and you'll be saying, "Stop! Don't touch that! No thank you! You want a drink? Water? Show me milk!" lol That's my entire day in a sentence :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Im like some moms, I dont talk much when i am at home, Sometimes I just let my lil one play with her toys and if she looks over at me to see what i am doing i'll say something to her like hi or what are u doing baby, or what are u playing with baby?
    I know she cant answer me, but I just want her to know that im being involved..
    MissChunkyLuv

Answer by MissChunkyLuv at 9:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't really talk to my son either. I just put on my ipod and sing him my favorite songs.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I was worried about this same thing when my son was born, because I've always been very quiet and shy. My son is 9 months old now, and I still feel silly talking to him in front of other people, but I do it more now. I talk or sing to him a lot more when I'm alone with him, and I enjoy watching him interact with other people when other family or friends are around. I'm still not comfortable acting really silly in front of others. It helped to just start out telling him what I was doing...just talking in a normal voice while I did things with him or around the house. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm a talker and guess what I am raising... Yup a talker. Your baby will learn to talk. Just start making more and more effort. I bet you would be surprised of how much you are talking to your son. Of all the things you have to worry about this isn't one of them. Play music for him, make times where he would interact with other babies. You spend the first year wanting them to talk and the next 21 wishing they wouldn't. :-) Hugs to you and your new little one!
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 10:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009