• In the Spotlight:

Autism, vaccines, and the amish

Can any one tell me if vaccines don't cause autism then how is it that the amish who don't vaccinate have no autism? just wondering who can explain that one.

3rdtymsthecharm

Asked by 3rdtymsthecharm at 7:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Health

• That's not true. There are Amish people that are Autistic.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but there are pleanty of statistics that say other wise. the amish do not have autism
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 7:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• she did say the amish who DONT VAX...
    BabyOnTheWay312

Answer by BabyOnTheWay312 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Did they talk to EVERY amish person? How do you know it's not something else in thier lifestyle that prevents it or doesn't trigger it. The amish are not open to study, they are a very closed community. I am sure that somewhere out there, there is an amish person with autism. Show a study that says that there's enough proof that autism is caused by vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• http://autism.about.com/b/2008/04/23/do-the-amish-vaccinate-indeed-they-do-and-their-autism-rates-may-be-lower.htm

Read that...not true
    Anonymous

• then lets put it this way. The majority of amish communities don't vax and they don't have autism
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 7:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• http://www.nomercury.org/science/documents/Articles/UPI-The_Age_of_Autism-Mercury_and_the_Amish_5-21-05.pdf

Another that says what you're saying is not true
    Anonymous

• No one knows for sure what causes autism. There are people who vaccinate who don't have autistic children and there are those who do not vaccinate and their children still has autism. I even know some Amish families who do vaccinate and some who do not and still have autistic children. It isn't a clear fact that vaccinating causes it.

Anonymous

• http://www.whale.to/vaccine/olmsted.html This guy found one autistic amish but she was adopted and had some shots from china
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 7:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The pattern I was noticing then took an interesting twist. From a doctor's posting on an alternative health
    Web site, I learned about several cases of autism among Amish children who had not, in fact, been
    vaccinated.
    I called that doctor, Lawrence Leichtman, at his office in Virginia Beach, Va. A pediatrician and geneticist
    who has been widely published in medical journals, he told me he was treating six unvaccinated Amish
    children and adolescents -- three from Pennsylvania, including one from Lancaster County; two from
    Ohio, and one from Texas.
    That seemed to render any relatirelationship between autism and mercury exposure in the Amish less likely.
    But, not after what Leichtman said next.
    "By the way," he volunteered, "four of these six kids all have elevated mercury. The only two that don't,
    one of them is from Texas and one is from Iowa. But all of the people in Pennsylvania and one of the
    people in Iowa have
    Anonymous