Fishes

We just recently got a fish tank. with just a few fish in it. And everything is still in delicate condition.
We are going away for a few days. We will be leaving saturday afternoon and coming back sunday night.
will they be okay on feeding until we get home? i know they eat stuff from the bottom of the tank. so i assume they should be okay. i just wanted another opinion.
thanks.

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 7:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• You can get a weekend feeder...check with a pet store.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• if they are all algea feeders then go to walmart get an algae tablet and drop in there they should be fine....if not walmart sells an automatic fish feeder im not sure how much it is but i dont think its over 15 bucks might even be 10 i dunno but you can get that fill it up with food hook it to the tank and it will feed the lil swimmers while you are away...oh and if u mean u are coming back like the next day instead of the following sunday then yeah they will be fine just feed them before u leave that day.......

Where are you going? I wanna go on vacationnnnnnnnnnn lol just kidding...hope this helps though
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 7:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, your fish will be just fine. You don't even have to get a weekend feeder for them. When I purchased my fish, I was actually told at the pet store to only feed the fish every 3 days. Fish find left-overs in their tank to eat, and don't require fresh food every day. This will also help to keep your tank clean. Over-feeding can cause a cloudy tank!
    Anonymous

• Yes, your fish will be fine. You are actually supposed to not feed for 1 day every week so they can clean out their systems like they need to! We have 4 tanks, with cichlids and we have done this before. They will be just fine! Sometimes when we are in the hospital with our daughter they don't get fed for almost 3 days. So yes they will be fine!! 

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i would get one of those feeders that hang on the side of the tank. i mean its a new tank so theres probably not much grime for them to feed off of. 4 days is kinda long not to get a decent meal.
    MichaelsMomm122

Answer by MichaelsMomm122 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've had fish for over 20 years and I can tell you that they do not need to be fed daily. I had fish up until this past summer when I had to get rid of all of my tanks since I was on complete bed rest and couldn't continue caring for them... I fed my fish ONCE a week.... I had 10 tanks and my fish lived for years.... my Cichlids were 5 years old and were only fed once a week. They were all between 8-15" long, my plecos were between 5-16" long, my sharks were all about 13" long and I also had community fish and Bettas as well.
    Fish feeders will cause more harm than good, especially in a new tank. A tank is considered new for about 6 months, by the way. If you do put a feeder in the tank, be prepared to do at least a 20% water change when you come back, because it will cause a nice little build up of nitrites in your tank which will raise your ammonia and literally burn the scales off of your fish.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If you get a slow-release "weekend" fish feeder, yes, you will have to do about 20% water change when you get home, but you should be doing a 10% water change weekly anyway as part of your routine maintenance.
    **A little tip, get a Python brand water changer that hooks up to your sink. It prevents carrying buckets of water around with the possibility of slopping and spilling, and wrenching your back, and takes a lot of the literal PITA out of routine water changes. Don't forget the chlorine remover for every water change!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yes my dh feeds his every few days thats actually how we keep ours alive
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2009