Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was physically abused as a kid for years

and I still flinch when things come near my head, I am about to be hit, or have something thrown at me by my toddler. is there any way I can get over this so I don't seem weak to him? I think my toddler finds it amusing, but I don't.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I have no idea.......maybe it might help if you talk with someone like a phsyciatrist or something....sometimes it helps just getting those things out and dealing with them if you havent already tried it....and tell ur baby not to throw things at mommy lol its not nice..I got hit in the head with a ball the other day...hurt like hell lol
    I hope things go good for you and you are able to deal with it :P Prayers are with you

    Answer by BBKMommy at 7:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • You need to get some counseling. I know it is hard, but it is the best thing for you to find some help, this isn't the type of place that can help you work through these things, please get some help, for you and your little one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • God can and will help you get over anything and everything. All you have to do is ask. If it were me I would forgive my parent first.(Holding it in will only cause you more pain and suffering.)I was abused as a child also.Then I would ask God to give me strength. Just sharing what helped me get through with my situation.God bless you and yours.

    Answer by Alize26 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • I was abused also. I forgave my mother.

    She then apologised to me years later. I hold no resentments.

    I urge you to seek help!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • you really need to talk to someone licensed to deal with this situation. your toddler is just being a toddler. they dont know about what happened even 5 minutes ago..or is it more like 10? anyways, yes, find some counseling, if anything it will lead to closure.

    Answer by m4m4 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • I went through a similar situation with my kid. You really need to seek professional help to deal with your anxiety. Your kids need to see you as very strong and in control not weak. I know how hard it is to talk about, but if your kids are like mine they will start acting out once they pick up on your anxiety and discomfort. These issues tend to seep back into your life once your kids reach the age you were when your abuse started.  Meeting them head on by yourself or with a therapist can make all the difference.


    Answer by dreyamom at 12:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2009