Any idea why my female dog is still humping?

She is 7 months old and just got spayed (2 days ago) ... she is still humping her pillow. I thought it was a sexual going into heat thing, or Is this a dominance thing? Why would she feel the need to dominate?

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• I was going to say a dominance thing, I had a female that would hump our cats...funny looking. But if she is doing it to unanimate objects, like her pillow, then I really have no idea.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• okay this is too funny lol...I have no idea what is wrong with the female dogs in the world but I think they just like to hump lol....My mother got her dog spayed and the dog STILL HUMPS MY FATHERS LEG WHILE HE IS SLEEPING LMMFAO AND SHE STILL TRYS TO HUMP THE OTHER MALE DOG IN THE HOUSE...female dogs just gor problems lol
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 7:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It sounds like dominance. It may be her personality to want to be dominant.

On a similar subject, when we had outside cats, the neutered male used to go "visiting." We asked the vet why that was. The reply was "He may be neuter but he still has social obligations." LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 7:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My husband is sitting next to me..and says if you waited until 7months to get her spay. You just waited to long to do it, It is a learned behavior. That's why (6months) He said you can train her not to do it, but it will take time just like any child learning not to do somethng..after doing it for (however long)
    Asking how he knows..He worked as a vet tech for 2.5yrs (assited in many animal surgeries)
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I wanted to add, perhaps her hormones haven't settled down yet. The behavior may not last.

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• 2 days isn't long enough for her hormones to have decreased. There will be some residual hormones in her body for up to a few weeks. Hopefully after that she will stop humping, but some dogs never get over doing that even after being spayed/neutered and not doing it as a show of dominance.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my 13 month old female got spayed a week ago. the few days before she started acting like she was going into heat and though she is still slightly trying to hump she decided somehow to get her period.....not sure how that works with a full hysterectomy!!!!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My aunt has a dog that was neutered at a young age, and he is now 8 and still humps his toys. I'm not sure why the do it, but your dog may just be a humper!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Dominance. My female is very submissive, has gone through and come out of heat and never humped anything. I taught her from the moment we brought her home that she is not permitted to show dominance in any way. She is not dominant towards objects, people, or other dogs. Teach your dog it is not an acceptable behavior and she will stop. Unless you give her a reason to think she is dominant over you?
    Anonymous

• this is gross but we had a female dog that was spayed and she loved to hump your leg. she would literally hump for like 30 seconds and then hop off. you could see her back shake where she was having her orgasm. so i think dogs hump because they like to get off just like people! :o)
    MichaelsMomm122

Answer by MichaelsMomm122 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009