Why do so many people think that nothing can harm the baby in the first trimester?

This is the MOST important time for development in the entire pregnancy! During the Germinal Period the Zygote forms into a Blastocyst forming the cells it needs to live. Then in the Embryonic Period, organogenesis takes place which is when ALL major organs began to form. This is between weeks 3-8 of pregnancy. Any Teratogens (disease, drugs , alchohol, etc.) can hurt the embrio!

Sure there are women that take things, get drunk, etc. before they ever know there pregnant and things turn out fine but the fact is they are lucky. I guess I don't get why women continue to spread the incorrect idea that it's very difficult to harm the baby in the first trimester. I get not wanting to scare women but why can't we say "yes that could harm the baby but talk to you HCP"??

Where did women hear this incredibly untrue myth from? Why do so many people think that nothing can harm the baby in the first trimester?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• some women that get pregnate i guess are just stupid and my cousins have deemed theirself BRAIN DEAD my cousin smoked weed and took perks while she was prego and was scared because at the end of her pregnancy the baby wasnt growing like he should have been THANK GOD HE WAS O they did it the whle pregnancy and i agree with you the first trimester is the most important
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 7:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i never heard that- i always knew that the first trimester was the most important for development- the later part of ur pregnancy is when its mostly just growth (not that that means that its ok to do drugs or drink heavily at that point) but the first has the most important part of the development going on- so to answer ur question- who knows wut the hell these people r thinking?
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ahh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was reading some post early and was completely dismayed by some of the things women were being told.

I mean of course they should rely on CM for medical advise but we could at least give them accurate information. KWIM?
    Anonymous

• The first trimester is extremely important, there is no doubt. I think a lot of the "it's OK" stuff comes from consoling moms who drank when they didn't know they were pregnant. Even What to Expect consoles these moms saying basically "it's too late now, you didn't know, it's not like you did it on purpose and hopefully everything will be ok." Is it better to feel better about accidently drinking during early pregnancy or to feel guilty and be overcome with anxiety about the state of your fetus for the rest of the pregnancy because of an accident?

Then there are a load of people out there who thinkg "I did it and I was OK" and therefore all medical research must be thrown out of the window.  That's why I warn people: "pick up a book, google it, call your HCP...DO NOT do something because Sally Sue on CM said she did it and she and her kids were OK."

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I read a question that had to do with wanting to drink beer and that her doc said it was ok to have a couple shots of vodka....WTF....so my reply was are you more worried about getting drunk or having a healthy baby!!!! I also said she sounded like an alcoholic and obviously shouldnt have a child right now!!!. I dont care if I was out of line but I am so glad to hear people on the same page!!!
    Anonymous