Sexual Assault

Do you believe sexual assault is a crime that we need harsher punishments for? Do you believe it happens often? Why or why not?

I think it is amazing how many think that sexual assault is a rare thing and that punishments are fine. Sexual assault happens too often and too often the offender gets away with it with NO punishment whatsoever. It is absurd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes i think we need harsher punishments for it and yeah it happens alot and people just go on about there business not really thinking anything of it !!!
    Anonymous

• I think the system needs to be revamped. I know people will not like it when I say this, but a 19 yo boy sleeping with a willing 15 yo girl is really not as bad as a 30 yo molesting a 7 yo. The sad fact is in this country you are more likely to go to jail for the former than the latter.
    Anonymous

• We already have pretty harsh punishments in Alaska.When it's proven you are guilty ,you will get 99 years in prison.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I worked with sexual assault survivors almost every day for over ten years. So yes, it happens every single day. One in four girls by the time they are 18 and one in seven boys by the time they are 18. And that is a conservative estimate based on what is actually reported. So many do not get reported. That doesn't even include those wives that get sexually assaulted by their spouse. It is sad. And yes, I do believe that penelties are not strong enough. But also help for the offender. Real help. They go to jail, never receive the appropriate assistance needed, and go back out to reoffend. There is actually help out there that can reduce reoffending rates. My goal is to actually work with sex offenders in the near future.
    Anonymous

• The judicial system is flawed. There do need to be harsher punishments for sexual assault, rape, molestation offenders, but they also need more funding and bigger prisons to house those offenders for an extended period of time. I am a victim of rape and molestation by my own Father. The system pretty much failed me. The only reason why he is in prison for 15 years is because he hired two guys to assault my husband and kill my unborn child by kicking me in the stomach with steel toe boots. (They did not succeed obviously...they wound up telling the police instead.) He got more time for attempted capital murder than he would have for raping me. Pretty screwed up.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You're right anon 8:04. I do disagree with you on that one. A 19 year old is an ADULT and as such should be treated as an ADULT and knows that to have sex with one who is 15 years old IS A CRIME! It is sick! I am all to happy to have those idiots labelled as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. You have an adult and a child, the adult should put the breaks on and let the child know in NO uncertain terms that it does not go any further!

The system does need an overhaul (but not to allow a stupid 18 year old to have sex with an underage child, I think they deserve the punishment, it's the only way to teach them to keep the pants closed around underage children).
    Anonymous

• teen sex is a lot different than man with a child. I saw a young man get labeled Child Abuser when he had sex with his 17-year old GF, his was 18. I think that is wrong to label him. There has to be some common sense.
    With assault, molestation offenders need to get hit hard, life in prison sounds good.
    What should we do when a women lies and destroys a man life?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yes I know it's a huge issue.. I know a lot of people that were sexually assaulted, myself included.. he never got anything legally, but I was young, and didn't know I could press charges or anything.. Karma bit him in the ass a few years later.. he got testicular cancer and lost his testicles.

IMO anyone found guilty of sexual assualt, etc, should be castrated.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Just looking at all of the proud teen moms on this site...there seems to be a wide range of definitions of what constitutes sexual assault vs. consensual sex!

I've read plenty of posts of women here who proudly exclaim when they lost their virginity...at 14, 15, 16...There are so many mixed messages given by teenage girls out there, (aside from raging hormones) I wonder why teenage/young adult males even bother!

I think the laws are skewed when it comes to older teens (16-17 year olds having sex with 18-19 year olds), and society has lost it's common sense! There are PLENTY of cases of girls who teased and flirted and lead a guy on, only to say "no" at the last second, then cry rape or assault! THOSE cases really should be classified as "lesson learned" and thrown out.

I support the prosecution of PREDATORY type cases...men in their 20's and up stalking, abducting, raping and/or murdering children under the age of 12.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

I did not say he shouldn't be punished, but so should have the 40 yo man that molested me from the time I was 7 until I was 13.  The only thing they did to him was make him move out.  But a teenager sleeping with a very willing teenager goes to jail.  THAT is a crime!

Anonymous