Is it typical for a kid to ask to be homeschooled?

He's 5 and today it brought it up for the 2nd time in a week. Where he heard about it is beyond me but he keeps mentioning it. I told him he wouldn't see his friends at school anymore if he didn't go to school and he said, "well, they're just friends" like it didn't really bother him. Then I told him that if we did that I would be his teacher and he said he'd like that. I know he likes school so I don't think anything specific that is wrong is happening at school, but maybe he likes the fact I'd challenge him....I don't know. And where would I look into information for it if it was in fact a possibility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think that maybe he needs a change of pace? maybe school is going too slow for him- and its so weird but i was just looking into home schooling my kids as well- i think that i can teach them more than the school can- i had my oldest writing his name by 3 and the preschool that my 2 oldest were going to have not even been able to teach my middle who is now 3 1/2 how to write his name- sometimes these teachers are either too lazy or just too overwhelmed to teach these kids today- but im sorry if i didnt help- but i just needed to let u know that ur not alone and that im also going through my own search on home schooling
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We've been hs for 6 years. My oldest is in 9th grade, my youngest in kinder. They have more friends than I can keep up with. The "trick" is to keep them involved in support groups/activities.

He's 5 and hasn't really been able to distinguish what having friends is really all about. I wouldn't worry over it. Good luck if you decide to pursue the hs. It's not for everyone.
    Anonymous

• 3 1/2 year olds are not typically able to write their names. that shouldnt be a goal for the teacher of a child that age. that is why your kid hasn't learned that yet.

i dont think teachers are lazy. they do so much for kids these days. they do more now than they ever have in the past. there are so many different test they have to get kids through while also following all the different changes that are constantly happening on top of making sure that all the kids reach their benchmarks for each grade level.

read up on what the learning expectations are for different grade levels. there should be benchmarks or standards available to you some where. here, kids learn how to write their name in kindergarten if they didn't go to preschool. my SS learned to write his name this year in preschool. he will be 5 monday. and this is his first year of preschool.
    Anonymous

• i would talk to his teacher and see if there is anything going on at school. if he needs to be challenged more. see if there are things at school that can be done to address this issue since it sounds like its important to you that he socializes with others. also, get him involved in school activities. have you asked him why he wants to be homeschooled? or where he learned about homeschooling?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I say embrace it! If it's something he wants to do and it's something you and your husband are willing to try, why not?

I'm a homeschool mom for the first time this year. My oldest is 5, going on 6 real soon. He LOVES it and he came from a preschool environment last year. He's fine with not seeing his old friends from "school". He's got friends outside of school that he sees and activities outside of the home that he participates in.

Homeschooled doesn't mean "kept in a closet". Check out the "Big Kid Buzz" on cafemom. Cafe Kierna interviewed me a couple weeks ago and posted the article today on homeschool :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The school won't do much to challenge him. Their solution is to send home more work or have him help others in the class who are struggling. I didn't ask him why or where he learned about it yet. If he brings it up again or the opportunity presents itself, I will do so. I just wanted to get more homeschooling info before prying deeper because even if it's not ideal, if that's what is best for him, then maybe we have to go that way. *shrugs*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• anon 10:41- my oldest sons class was teaching him things that my 3 1/2 yr olds class wasnt- thats what i was basing my complaint on- and as for the teachers not being lazy- u dont know passaic schools- they have the lowest rating in nj- and yes its because most (not all) of the teachers here are in fact lazy! my son showed up to school five minutes early and his teacher would not allow us into the class because she didnt want to be bothered while she sat there filing her nails- so before u jump to conclusions about what other posts are saying- maybe u should get ur facts right
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• oh and here in nj- the preschool starts at 3 and the students a required to know how to spell and write their names by 5 to enter kindergarten
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• then they should require preschool. here preschool is not required. there are preschools available to 3 yr olds. and i will be enrolling my daughter as long as she is potty trained by then as soon as she is 3.

i wasn't jumping to conclusions. you never specified what teachers you were talking about. you were being general. thus i responded with that understanding. be more specific then if you plan to insult people.

i would not allow my children to go to a school where i was not allowed to see my child;s teacher and talk to them before school. and i would not allow my child to go to a school where i felt they were not getting a quality education or that their teacher was not challenging them.

Anonymous

• If homeschool is something you are willing to do, i say try it out for him for a semester- you can always put him back in school if you or him change your mind..
    maybe he will want to homeschool until Jr.High or later in elementary :)
    Look around your town to see whatit has to offer for Homeschooled kids. HS is diffrent now days it seems. kids get to be around other kids alot more than in the past.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009