Why do kids pj's always say they need to fit snug on the tags?

I bought some today and just wondered, I know its something about flamability.....but.....

I have to buy 2 sizes bigger just to be able to get em on my kids....am I alone?

I am talking about the type that are thermal....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Shopping

• Well, I've heard that about all pjs, not just thermal. But I think it's because if they are loose they can get all tangled up in them. I learned the hard way with my 4 yo. Pjs are so expensive and so I decided that he's old enough now to wear a white undershirt and boxers to bed. ($6.99 for 5 Hanes shirts and $6.99 for 2 pairs of Transformers boxers, I got two pkgs.) Well, I got the shirts in a Medium, I thought I'd get them bigger so that he could wear them longer. The first night he woke up screaming. I ran in there, some how he had gotten all tangled up in his shirt, his arm came out the neck hole and some how back into the arm hole from the outside. I don't know how he managed that, but he flails around in his sleep. Well, I have put away the mediums and got him the proper size so that doesn't happen again. So I am guessing this is why they say pjs should be snug.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm not really sure why they say that, I honestly never noticed, but I know what you mean about trying to get your kids into certain sizes.. perhaps if they have a button up or zipper one, it may help for a snugger fit.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• for fire retardation. When clothes are loose they are more likely to catch fire ... over a stove, candle or during a fire.
    dawn1963

Answer by dawn1963 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i think it's because of the suffication factor. i guess they figure if your kids clothes fit tight then they can't get tangled up in them while they sleep!?!? that's my guess!
    soccermama08

Answer by soccermama08 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Easier to catch on fire if they are loose, also trip hazard (for the legs for boys and night gowns for girls).
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• the reason the tags now say that is because years ago manufactuers used to treat childtrens pjs with flame retardant. The practice was stopped because the flame retardant was discovered to be linked with some kinds of cancer. Now they advise snug fit so if near a flame there is no flowing blousy material to easily ignite.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:04 PM on May. 28, 2009