If I put hard plastic toys in the dishwasher with bleach would that disinfect them?

I don't have more details that's pretty much the gist of it!

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 8:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes but be sure to completely rinse them so wash them twice once wtih bleach once with only soap. Lysol also works wonders they use to have a baby safe formula look for that to for every day stuff.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i wouldnt use bleach on toys, but thats me. honestly i didnt disenfect hardly anything just stuff i got from other people ie craigslist. kids will get in contact with germs no matter what. it may sound strange, but this worked for me, my son didnt get anything until we went out of town to a wedding, he got a light rash on his trunk and recently got some eye irritation. personally, i'd just use soap.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If you use bleach, there is no reason to use the dishwasher. Just fill your sink with water and add the recommended amount of bleach and soak.

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• lol.. i throw them in the washer.. yeah.. the clothes washer.
    I double rinse.. take them out and toss them on a towel.

I only disenfect after all of us have been sick.. and feel that we really NEED it.
    and maybe once every 6 months otherwise.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yea, I do the kids bath toys like once a month. I just put them all in the bathroom sink with water and about two capfuls of bleach. Then soak, drain, rinse, and suck and spray (yo get out the grime and stuff). When they were smaller (hav't done it in a while. I should for spring cleaning), I did them all like that. Anything sof went through the washing machine, and then airdried.
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 10:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• they can be disinfected in teh dishwasher without bleach (think about it you put your bottle parts in the dishwasher without bleach) The water gets hot enough that they get sanitized
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009