I started using a soy based formula for my newborn because my husband was deathly allergic to milk as a child. Is soy safe for a newborn? Does anyone have any experience with soy based formulas?

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hun I would start with a milk based formula, if you rbaby doesnt tolerate it then go to soy. Soy can be harder to digest but is a great alternative to babies with a reaction to lactose. However if your baby can tolerate lactose and digest it easily that is always the best (and most natural next to nursing) way to go. I recomend Parents choice organic formula. My girlfriend uses it for her baby whos tummy is easily upset and she says it doesnt smell nasty and even better yet his poop doesnt stink
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• we had to give our first child soy formula becuase he was not able to digest the regular stuff, our second did not have the problem and we still chose to give him soy formula and then switch him to cow milk at 1yr. he had no problems with it and neither did their ped. heck my little girl (my youngest) gave up formula cold turkey at 8 months no matter what i tried to do, she just woke up one morning and refused to eat babyfood or drink formula. all she would eat was the exact same the rest of us were eating, so that is what we gave her and she never had any problems. she drank about a gallon or so of milk every 3 days once we let her drink regular milk and she still loves it above all else to this day.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You're always supposed to start with a milk based formula. I tried the regular kind for the first 2 days after my son was born and made him gassy so I immediately switched to soy. It worked well for about 1-2 months then he started getting really constipated so I switched him to the reduced lactose formula (which is probably what I should have done instead of soy in the first place) and he's been great ever since.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We used soy with two of my three. I would be very worried if my hubby was that allergic. Talk to your ped. he should be able to tell you. Just a word of caution. Don't change to much, it can make their little tummys hurt. Pick one and stay with it. Best of luck.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 9:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would definitely talk to his doctor. I used soy based with my oldest dd because that is what was recommended. (I wasn't producing enough breast milk to feed her.) I didn't have any problems.
    abelmm2

Answer by abelmm2 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Soy is safe but its better to start with a milk based formula. Just because your DH was allergic doesnt mean your son will be. There hasnt been a genetic link to allergies to found.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would talk to the doctor about it. Its better to start with the regular. I had to put my son on soy, he was having hard poops and spitting up a lot. And it has cut the spitting up in half. And his poop is rarely hard anymore. Seems to work well for him. I started him on it at 2 months, but I dont htink it would be any different for a newborn.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2009