What is the best brand of dog food?

I have an American Bulldog and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good dog food brand. After using Nutro Max and discovered horrific results from the dog food -I switched to Blue. My dog made an excellent recovery skin cleared up no scratching and gained weight. However recently I have noticed she seems to be not filled up with the dog food, and I was wondering just how great the dog food Blue is. I did research and found no complaints on Blue dog food. Blue is expensive dog food but worth it since this has helped my dog. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions on dog brands.

Kellyjude1

Asked by Kellyjude1 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• All I can say here is to avoid animal by-products and as many grains as you can. The by-products aren't healthy for them and the grains are used as fillers...there's not benefit.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We always use Iams. Not sure if it's the best or not, but it is one of the only ones our Boxer won't throw up.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 9:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I use Innova Evo. You might just need to increase how much you are feeding. I never go by the recommended amount on the package. I go by how my girls look. They both weigh about the same but one gets 1/2 cup twice a day, with about 1/2-1 cup of frozen green beans at night, the other gets 3/4 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night with 3 green beans so she doesn't feel left out. They have different metabolisms, just like people. The green beans are to help my her feel full without adding a lot of calories.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Hello American bullie pet parent-  Yes, the blue seems to be a good food : how about you add some Solid Gold Barking AT the MOON to the Blue - Do 3/4 of the Blue and 1/4 of the Barking - Moon.... it should help-

also, a good supplement will help with digestion:

see here : source

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

BEST wishes...

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 10:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We use Merrick and Blue.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We have an Aussie Shepherd that is not able to tolerate any dog food but Iams. She broke out in hives, lost hair in patches and would scratch herself bloody. Iams doesn't have ground corn in it as most dog foods do, and the first ingredient in the variety we have right now is chicken, followed by cornmeal, which is different than ground corn.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We have always used Purina ~ fairly inexpensive but not the real cheap stuff. We did switch to Kibbles and Chunks for a short period and our dog had an allergic reaction. Our pup is filling out very nice and has a great looking coat (he's a show dog so it's vital to have every aspect of his build and appearence in tip-top condition).
    Anonymous

• I usually get one of the holistic brands. I also raw feed.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i would probaly combine hommade and purina balance the diet my dog loves carrots
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We switched all of or dogs to Natures Instinct frozen raw with the Prairie kibble. We fed raw in the past and got away from it b/c we were preparing it ourselves. There are now companies that prepare it for you for convenience sake. For a 50 pound puppy on all raw, no kibble it cost $2.20 per day to feed her. She has put on weight and her skin and coat glow. There are also no preservatives which is nice!

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2009