2 year olds eating habits?

My daughter is 2, she is a pretty picky eater, the only foods i know she will eat every time is chicken, potatoes and any kind of noodles. She does like fruits, but not many veggies. I can't get her to eat on a regular schedule she will tell me she is hungry (for example) at like 4 and I'll give her a small snack and around 6:30 she won't eat her dinner. Breakfast is crazy she rarely ever eats breakfast, but she eats like a pig at lunch or vice versa, I don't understand I don't know if I should just let her eat when she is hungry or continue to "attemp" a schedule? I know her snack is not really filling her up so what is going on? My doctor says feed her what she wants when she wants it as long as she is eating something its okay for now to wait until she's a little older before I try to make her eat, but I don't know if I like the idea of her eating whatever, whenever. Any suggetions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little girl is 2 and sounds about the same. she prefers to eat every two or so hours and only eats a little bit on most occassions. she is not a picky eater and I only give her junk food as a treat for using the potty, other than that she has her choice of fruit, fresh vegies, cheese, yogert, etc. The doc is right about let her eat as long as she is eating, however here is our routine and i have found it to be a great compromise. she gets up at around 7am most mornings. she gets a sippy of milk and a handful of dry cereal to watch cartoons and the news with. she snacks on that until around 930 and then eats (picks at) lunch at 11. she naps from 12 to 2-230 and then gets a snack. usually string cheese, grapes, trail mix, etc. she gets something small at about 4 and we eat at 530-6. she will not eat much if she is made to stay at the table for more than 10 min, so I let her down and offer her bites as she plays....
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have found that offering bites, cures her bordom and she eats most of the rest of her dinner, so she will eat about 1/2 of it on her own and 1/2 of if while running around. I only give her about a tablespoon of each thing i make which is the recommended serving size for her age and size (30lbs). then she get ready for bed at 645-7. after her bath she gets either a few crackers or a piece of bread (she loves plain bread for some reason) with a sippy of milk while we read her bedtime story. then we brush her teeth and tuck her in. it works great for us.

I only started the bedtime snack about 3 weeks ago and she now sleeps though the night where she had been waking up in the middle of the night for a sippy of milk which she would down very quickly and pass back out.

Good luck, i think that with everything else, it is a guessing game to find out what works best for you and her.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• vbongard do we have the same kid? lol thats what mine is like but hes 3 and a boy. but i agree if i make him sit, its a fight but if he can get up and play with a car then he eats so much better. and i agree with everything you said. kudos. could say it better myself. (:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my little boy is 2 now and he used to just eat cheerios, nuggets and whatever we give him for supper. well.. needless to say... he wont eat his cheerios nor his nuggets now. most of the time he wont even eat pizza! i think its a phase but mostly i would definitely trust the doctor in giving her whatever she wants whenever she wants it because i seriously think if you put her on a schedule she's not going to like it enough and as long as she's eat or at least eating somewhat healthy is good. my son is 2 and weighs 27 pounds. lost alot of weight because of his picky eating. if he wont eat supper, i give him pbnj sandwiches right before bed which i feel bad cuz idk if it feels him up all the way. so i'm trying to give him anything that i can give him even though i think that its wasting food. i guess i'm too worried bout wasting food and trying to keep him up to par on eating.
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My 23mth old is a picky eater too. I offer him all sorts of vegies and fruits. And he only eats the nana's. lol We eat nutritous foods, sometimes he eats more than others. I want him to be a lil chunkier but jeeze, if he had eaten all ive offered him hed be big as a house. lol Ehh..I know toddlers eat when their hungry but still i worry.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 10:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my kids were all grazers. no 'meals' just small snacks through out the day. it is actually the healthier way to eat.

their tummies are SO TINY. your stomach is about the size of your fist. their stomachs are about the size of their fist. that is small. at 2 yrs old a few apple slices and half a graham cracker could very easily fill them.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2009