Why no birth control?

I have a question for those who don't use birth control for religious reasons. I'm not really talking about those who believe the pill causes abortions, can't take hormones, etc. I'm talking about those who believe that God does not want us to use any type of birth control at all.
Why?
Because in Genesis he said "Go Forth and Multiply"? We have a serious over population problem in this world, God may have changed his mind here. How do we know that He did not assist those scientists who developed bc?

Because we should have all the children He wants us to? Are you saying that you don't believe God (who initiated a virgin birth) could overcome birth control and have you become pregnant if he really wanted you to?

I have a real problem with this because so many are coerced into having multiple children that they can't afford and don't really want because they feel its what God wants.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• personally I believe God wants us to be responsible in our baby making and sex is a very important and spiritual part of a marriage, thus if it is not in the line of the word to be having a baby right away use birth control. I DONT believe in relations prior to marriage however so in those circumstances, no bc. I had to remind myself to go in to my obgyn and get bc two months before my wedding day, it was wierd
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, God could overcome birth control if He wanted to - but isn't our goal in life to do God's will and not try to go around it? That's like saying 'well if God didn't want me to embezzle money He'd make sure I got caught. If I don't get caught then it's OK with God."

Artifical birth control (ABC) means you are trying to prevent your body from working the way God designed it. In the sex act in marriage, the couple is complying with God's command and is performing an act of re-creation; with God's help they may create a new life. Sexual activity using ABC is a deliberate act to derive sexual pleasure while avoiding the natural result of such activity. It is an act of recreation rather than re-creation as it is ordered toward self rather than toward God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That doens't mean people need to have as many children as possible or that sex must always result in a pregnancy - it means that when a couple chooses to have sex they must be open to the possiblity of life. ABC does not do that.

However, a couple can choose to abstain from sex when a woman is fertile (Natural Family Planning). This is different from ABC because a couple is free to choose not to have sex. NFP doesn't separate sex from responsiblity. NFP is based on sexual self-control (a virture). NFP requires cooperation and communication between the couple which is important.

So when enganging in sex a couple can be procreative (obviously). A couple can be non-procreative like if there is a fertility problem or using NFP. But a couple cannot be anti-procreative which is what ABC is.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ok, I need to point out something that's bugging me here. This is not the first BC question I've read on this board, and most religious people say BC is against god. Now, these seem to be mostly the same people who, when faced with a question about abortion, say, "(They, you, whomever) should have kept (your, their) legs closed and/or used birth control!"

So if birth control keeps someone from concieveing a child they can't afford or don't want, and that prevents an abortion, isn't it a good thing? You can't really have it both ways. Either BC is against god and is bad, in which case you have to accept there will be unwanted pregnancies and abortions; or BC is acceptable and there won't be as many women "murdering" their babies.

Also, isn't NFP pretty much the same thing as any other BC? Either way, you are trying to keep from getting pregnant. Why is one ok and one isn't?
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ideally one would only have sex if they were married and able to raise a child. People shouldn't be trying to have all he fun of sex without any of the consequences. That turns sex into something that is all about us and what we want and using each other as means of pleasure. When really sex is something that should be special between a married couple as a way to bring them closer AND a way to possibly bring life into the world.

Now if people don't do that - they shouldn't try to compound the mistake by killing thier child to cover up their first mistake. So it's a false dichotomy to say because people don't want to have sex responsibly the way God intended then we should allow birth control and/'or abortions.

The question was why do religous people think BC is wrong - it's because it goes against what God intended sex to be. THe fact that many people do go against God's will for this doesn't make BC right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Also, isn't NFP pretty much the same thing as any other BC? Either way, you are trying to keep from getting pregnant. Why is one ok and one isn't?

With NFP a couple is choosing not to have sex at a certain time. A couple can choose not to have sex many reasons.  But when the couple does choose to have sex they are not actively trying to prevent conception so they are still open to the possiblity of life.   They may not conceive - but the act itself is still open to life.  Just like a couple that had medical problems - they can have sex but may not conceive and that is fine.  We don't have to conceive every time we have sex.

ABC is being anti-procreative. Instead of choosing not to have sex, a person wants to have sex but avoid the responsiblity of procreation.  They are actively trying to frustrate the main purpose of why God gave us sex. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:34 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Artifical birth control (ABC) means you are trying to prevent your body from working the way God designed it. In the sex act in marriage, the couple is complying with God's command and is performing an act of re-creation; with God's help they may create a new life. Sexual activity using ABC is a deliberate act to derive sexual pleasure while avoiding the natural result of such activity. It is an act of recreation rather than re-creation as it is ordered toward self rather than toward God.

Eringobrough... So, every married couple should stop having sex unless they're willing to have multiple children?
    My husband and I didn't want ANY children (with me needing to be on anxiety meds, and him being almost 12 yeras my senior) but we have a beautiful 3-month-old daughter. However, I got right on BC as soon as my gyno would let me, b/c we definitely do NOT want any more, and it's preposterous to think that we'd stop having sex.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Does intention not matter? If you are using NFP, your intention is to not get pregnant. What if you have very valid reasons not to get pregnant - money issues, health issues, etc? Should a married couple refrain completely from sex unless they are willing to have children as a possible consequence? That sounds like what some of you are saying but that doesn't seem right. Didn't God make sex pleasurable for a reason?
    Anonymous

• Eringobrough... So, every married couple should stop having sex unless they're willing to have multiple children?

I never said that (in fact I was quite clear that wasn't the case). If you need to space children you can use Natural Family Planning.  (Check out the link - NFP doesn't mean you can't have sex at all - you just abstain when a woman is fertile which is only a few days out of each month.)  There has been a ton of scientific advancements in helping us understand a woman's fertility.  NFP can be as effective as the pill.  That way each sex act is open to life. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Does intention not matter? If you are using NFP, your intention is to not get pregnant. What if you have very valid reasons not to get pregnant - money issues, health issues, etc?

Yes intentions matter.  If someone is using NFP for selfish reasons it's wrong.  But there are very valid reasons for needing to postpone pregnancy and in those cases NFP is fine.  The intention is be responsible parents with NFP.  The intention with ABC is avoid the natural consequences God intended for the sex act.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009