Is this too much television?

Honestly what is your opinion: my son is not quite three years old and he watches 2-3 hours daily of television throughout the week and maybe 1-2 hours daily on the weekends. Is that too much? Sometimes I feel like he's watching a little too much, but really I don't know what else to fill our day up with. It is just me and him almost 24/7 and we don't have the luxury of getting out of the house all that often during the week. He's very energetic and gets plenty of exercise, so weight or health isn't the issue, I just worry that the television is so empty and he's not really gaining anything from his time in front of it.

How much television do your kids watch and how old are they? How much do you think is too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 2. The tv is like always on something like diego or wonderpets. He doesnt watch more than 2 hours or so. He is usually playing and running around. He watches maybe 30 min. of tv on weekends we are never home. I think to much would be if they sat in front of the tv for like 6 hours at a time. I think 3 hours is fine.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Mine watches about that much TV a day, but she definitely learns from it. She only watches PBS kids or movies that we buy her. I think it has helped her learn many things I've never even thought to teach her.
    I would advise to make sure he's watching engaging and educational programs.
    Anonymous

• my little girl is 2 and is in love with spongebob. she always wants it on, and may only watch it for a few hours each day, but she does play very well and is very active, she just likes to be able to relax to it or have it on as background noise. as long as your son plays, exercises and is healthy I do not think that there is a problem. each family has a different routine and way of doing things. I say live and let live.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, I'm all for the educational programming as well. We watch Noggin, since there are no commercials, or at least no advertisement ones, and also PBS Sprout. My son has recently gotten into Thomas the Tank Engine quite a bit, which isn't really educational, but does teach good qualities. I just know that kids learn so much more from experience, so I worry about him just hanging out in front of the TV sometimes. I know I watched at least that much, if not more, when I was young and I'm healthy and intelligent, but you hear so much about it these days, so I really do wonder sometimes if I'm being lazy and letting him watch too much. Sometimes that's what I feel like.
    Anonymous

• my son age 3 is the same way he tends to watch spongbob wonderpets and wow wow wubbzy but hes also running and playing, he just likes it on so when he wants to stop for 2 mins he can and see somthing he thinks is funny. we even do puzzles together but u can hear the tv in the next room.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my daughter watches it a couple hrs a day. we do activities and play and go places but most of the time we are home the tv is on whether we are watching it or not. I am a sahm and I like the tv on for background noise. We dont watch it all the time but its on.
    Anonymous

• Watching tv is bad and causes brain damage . . . . we don't even own a television.

Sorry, I just couldn't believe that no one else had already said that . . . I don't believe that at all. Dd is 8 months and the tv is always on in the background. She never sits and watches a show, but occasionally it catches her eye for a few moments. When she is older, I will let her watch some tv a day. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Well, lately mine don't watch any because we've made it a reward for good behavior (and obviously they haven't been little angels lately LOL) but before that they'd watch 2 or 3 hours a day, more on the weekends. I don't really like it, I think it's too much myself. But I could live without a TV if I had my way =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I answered this a while ago but mines are 11 and 7. They get tv once everything is done during the week. Homework, clean rooms baths and so on. Normally that is around 8 on the weekdays which is bedtime. (Yes they have tvs in their rooms) They are normally sleep by 9 so I'd say an hour or 2 on the weekdays.
    On the weekend it's unlimited however they don't get a chance to watch tv because we are always on the go. Literally. Sat we are out the door before 11 in the morning and normally don't return until 9 or 10.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Amen Bridget:-) Read to him, build with him, help him memorize poetry--MUCH better than anything on tv!!! That is way too young to be watching so much. The best environment is no tv until at least 5 years old. It isn't even so much what is on it is what is NOT going on when the tube is on. Draw with him, body paint with him, get play dough. Play games. Read, read, read, and have him tell you the story back to you--in his own way--there are no right and wrong ways in doing this. Make some cookie dough and let him cut cookies and wad it up---who cares if it never gets baked. Memorizing small poems is far better for his brain than watching any "educational" tv. It is tough at that age and can be tiring--but believe me--it is only for a short time!! As a mother of three grown adults---cherish it all!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2009